Is there a tutorial somewhere please

I don’t want to ask for anyone to walk me through a script write, I’d like to get a link or file or anything for how to write scripts.
Goal: verbal command through a Google Home Mini or my iPhone, that turns on a light and starts a playlist.
I have googled it a couple times, and I find snips and bits and clues, and I’d just like to spend say Boxing Day reading maybe to get stuff working the way I want it to work.

Think of scripts like an automation. You give it a name and you give it a list of actions and thats it. So in your script you call the service to turn on the light just like you would in automation. Then the next service would be to start the playlist on the device. Once you set it up you can ask google to turn on the script name and it will work.

Reading. Now does Google Home Mini tie in as well as Alexa ? I’m still reading. I’ve just set up the Home Assistant in a jail on my FreeNAS server. At this point I’ve got the Wink hub installed, Philips Hue controller working, Nest, and then Unifi to monitor home and away states. I’m really happy so far. Just diving in.

yes it shouldve auto discovered your google home mini. check the states section and look under media_player, you should see it with the device name you set for it. you should be able to send services to it now like TTS or playing a URL etc…

alexa needs to be configured, google home works more out of the box. I prefer google home.

I have that.
I can see that speaker, and am playing TTS through it. I am missing on the INPUT part of it.
Still reading.
I appreciate your help though absolutely !

ok so you want to use media_player.play_media service on the device, that should get you to where you want to be i think

honestly your best tutorial is to go on github and look up a lot of different configurations to see how people do things. then its all trial and error :slight_smile: documentation si helpful but use github for real world examples.

python_scripts might be preferable if you already know python. You can edit and rerun them whilst developing them without needing to constantly reload HA for edits to take effect.
Cheers

@BillyPrefect

I think to use the Google Home Mini or the Google Assistent in your Phone you have to configure the Google Assistant component for HA first.

Have a look here: https://home-assistant.io/components/google_assistant/

It’s a bit more complex but works pretty well for me. I can control every light, switch, script, thermostat, etc… in HA with it via my or my girlfriends phone. :slight_smile:

Is this even possible with FreeBSD Jail system ? I don’t understand the nginx references due to using HASS in a jail.

What Nginx references? The Google Assistant component should work on all systems.
You just have to be shure, that you can reach you Hass GUI from outside your network via https, as a prerequisite.

For more infos about the Google Assistant component you should have a look at the corresponding community thread: Setting up Google Actions for Assistant