Is there a way to run a browser window within HA?

I am looking for a way to run a browser window within HA, like it is possible to run a terminal window in HA. I do not need a sophisticated solution here, potentially lynx (command line browser) might be good enough.

Basically, I need that to access my router, to trigger a reboot of it - sometimes it just does malperform and a reset typically solves that issue. There’s no documented way of just trigger it via command line, i need to log in via web interface…

Use a shell command.

Like stated above, a command-line e.g. shell command does not work, i need a GUI access… is there a way to integrate Lynx?

An iframe panel, then.

Iframe renders blank…

Routers don’t allow embedding of the web interface.

1 Like

Interesting. Didn’t know that.

OP, is the router your own or your ISP’s?
If your own, what is the brand / OS?

From my ISP, i.e. branded, the model is Arris Touchstone TG3442DE.

The point is - I could use a remotely controllable power socket e.g. Tuya compatible or Nous A1 etc. - yet when i switch off the router obviously i can not reach it any longer from outside to switch it on again…

which router it is? is it supported by any custom firmware? depending on the firmware you can automate the reboot process from as simple as watchcat to a corn job.

Can’t install Watchcat as the ISP won’t allow that. Coming back to my initial question: is there a way to get Lynx installed?

You have the following options

1. Ask the ISP to replace the router with the working piece.
  2. Use a smart plug and restart it from the HA.
  3. Add an OpenWrt router (used bought from ebay or even new belkin RT3200 which can easily be bought for £50 ) after it and use ISP router just as a bridge, which will mostly solve the issue.

RT3200 has better wifi than tg3442.

it seems your modem does support SSH login

If you are in Germany, you do have the right to ask for permission to install your own router instead of ISP.

Possible? Likely, through an addon.
Does somebody already did it? I highly suspect not.

Just to confuse things more, there are devices which will sense when the internet connection is down and cycle a power outlet to reboot a router that’s plugged into it. I believe some of them allow you to trigger the reboot remotely.

Obviously HA can power a WiFi smart plug off but not back on again. But if it were Zigbee or Z-Wave, an automation could do that. I think you just gave me my next HA project!

2 Likes

@CaptTom

WIfi can turn back on too if a restart command was sent.
Watchcat just do that and a few things more

@yousaf465 you are right, Watchcat could do the trick, but when you can’t tamper with the router’s firmware then that’s no option…

yes, I know, that is why I trying to think of a way to reboot the ISP router with either OpenWrt or HA.

How about locally connected and controllable plug and initiate script to reboot? That way you don’t need internet to power it back on?

When my router is powererd off, it also loses its DHCP function etc. - so no access from HA to another device… i would need a power switch which comes back after 5 seconds automatically or so.

True, did not realize that. But it applies only if it is wifi. You can still do for instance zwave/zigbee