Is there a way to use the RPi as a WiFi bridge?

Its true that ISPs cut costs, but mostly its on CPU and RAM, which means the more advanced setups become a problem, like VPN services and multiple stateful firewall rules, but not really the wifi. This is something only a few subscribers will use, so their approval rating is not affected that much.
Good wifi is something pretty much all subscribers use, so they can not cut too much on it, but they will probably not deliver a 802.11ax router with a standard internet subscription. The features are expensive and most subscribers will never gain their benefit.

I see many enthusiasts buying a new 802.11ax router and also saw it with the 802.11n routers when they were the big news.
They take the router home set it up and connect their computer and test it.
Then they enjoy the numbers they receive in a speedtest and they are happy.
Later they connect the rest of their devices and never realize that many of those devices either disables their routers extra features entirely or severely limits its function, because they do not run the speedtest again, and if they do then its probably because one of their other devices is just downloading some update or the like.
For many of these people it is a kind of placebo effect.

1 Like

Ofcause, they have to deliver a device that meets the standard, and subscription, thou as you say, locked or limited in certain features, and “adapted” very limited gui. Ages ago i lived a place where could not Choose ISP, and got some “Very” limited router i had to pay for in the subscription( So to me it was double annoyance , just looking at it made me wanna smash under a big stone :grin:
PS: thou it was with both 2.4 and 5.0, so not that old, and i could squeeze WIFI.n out of it

I always choose an ISP where their router can be set to bridge mode, if not removed completely.
Adding 10 port forwarding and put several stateful firewall rules on each of them makes many cheap routers sweat, so I use my own.
I am pleasently suprised by my EdgeRouter 4 from Ubitiquis. It required a bit of getting used to coming from Cisco, but Cisco sort of ditched everyone but big corporate costumers, so a switch was needed,
I was a bit afraid of the cloud management in many Ubitiquis products, but the Edge products seems to be able to run fully offline.

And where does WIFI come into the picture ?

Thanks you all for your replies.

To answer some of your questions and comments:
The only WiFi things here are mobile devices which have no problems with signal and recently these 6 smart power strips dotted about the place to replace existing power strips. Everything else is hardwired and anything else (smart) is Zigbee which has had no problems communicating so far.

@Edwin_D Yes, I’ve spent a reasonable amount of money to save me a few shackles every year. Very addictive. I keep coming up with more ideas :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

@boheme61 I can’t move my router due to the way the coax comes into my apartment. I would have it more central if I could, but it hasn’t caused an issue before now as I hardwire everything that has an RJ45 on it.

@HeyImAlex I sort-of agree that more WiFi isn’t necessarily a solution. I don’t see boosting the source WiFi as a solution which was why I was looking to try to create a second source away from the interference so devices could connect via that way should they lose the main source.

@WallyR Thank you for sharing that info. I’ve seen weird things with interference from way back when I was a sysadmin a looong time ago. Like literally moving a computer 6inch in an office it went from full connection to zero. Wired connection too. Bizarre.
I’m a long time user of WiFi Analyser. It’s a great wee app. I’ll normally only use it to make sure that the WiFi is on a channel away from neighbours’, but there has been a fair bit of sitting under my desk recently looking at the needle in dismay while the TV was on in the next room :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

@boheme61 No TV and computers at the same time? You’ve assumed that I live on my own :wink:
I’m not annoyed by the wifi dead-zone. It’s just a fixable problem to solve :slight_smile:

It’ a shame I couldn’t repurpose the RPi to use the Hassio Access Point or use RASPAP with HA, but over the weekend I did work out a solution.

I picked up one of these low-power bridge/repeaters, plugged it into my office switch and into a Zigbee 5v socket.
I then created a template sensor so that if any of the devices around my ISP’s router are switched on, then the bridge in the office will power on and stay available (on a separate channel) until a separate automation switches it off later when my “sleeping/dnd” calendar entry is triggered.
So far so good :slight_smile:

Thank you all again for your replies.
It is appreciated.

Ok, yes i understand your concern, sometimes in apartments the " TV/Internet" plugins are not always placed optimal, and ISP’s only deliver i.e max 1m cables(if any), but you could buy a longer cable, for sure it’s not ideal to have a router near TV, AMP, and/or other electronic devices, so your cheapest option is to buy a longer “coax” cable, as im sure your router should cover your apartment, and you mention your self that the TV interfere the wifi signal

Sorry, this was just mend as a “bad” joke :slight_smile:

Thanks, but I don’t need to extend the coax as there is now a working solution in place

1 Like