Is there an easy way to bypass VPN router to access Home Assistant remotely?

Sorry, I’m not sure which category this question should be in. But technically, is there a way I can bypass the VPN router so I can connect to it remotely outside the network?

My network is configured as: ISP > VPN Router > Switch > Home Assistant. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

The best way and most headache free way is nabucasa, but it will cost $5/month. It absolutely worth and it is good for development of HA.

Nabucasa is the easiest, but you can also use the Zerotier Hass.io add-on to create a virtual network, and then use the Zerotier clients (available on Windows and Android) to connect. It’s not as straightforward but it works and doesn’t require port forwarding.

Or you can install this OpenVPN Hass.io add-on, download the generated OpenVPN client files, setup port forwarding, and connect using the OpenVPN client and files. I wouldn’t recommend this as the add-on isn’t actively maintained, but it works.

Yes ZeroTier One works like mad!

Sorry. But what’s ZeroTier One?

Oh ok. I’ll try this ZeroTier One first. If all fails, then I’ll go the Nabucasa route.

Thanks!

I got the ZeroTier One working. Now I don’t need to mess with the router or OpenVPN. Thanks!

1 Like