Is there any benefit in moving lights bulbs from Hue to zigbee2mqtt?

Actually yes, this is possible by including a software-emulated Hue Bridge to your network. I am using DyiHue for this. Unfortunately it’s not supporting original Hue Dimmer Switches, so you will need to automate them manually (e.g. with HASS or Node-Red), but otherwise it’s working perfectly fine.

Hey, digging up an old thread but was wondering if the people who did move from Hue to Zigbee2mqtt had a good experience?

I’m thinking of moving my 25 lights and hue sensors all to Zigbee2mqtt but it basically means starting all over again with my automations. I currently also have some zigbee sensors and lights not compatible with Hue setup already.

My current reason to do this is because sometimes the hue bathroom sensors are slow to respond triggering the zigbee light in the bathroom.

I have moved my ikea lights from hue to zigbee2mqtt and the smooth on/off transition is gone. I have tried a few scripts to mimic hue’s, but it still doesn’t feel right. I want to revert back all the lights to hue and keep all the sensors using zigbee2mqtt and like you said it will means to re-pair all.

Hope you didn’t move back yet! You can set a transition per device in zigbee2mqtt. It defaults to 0, which is instantaneous. If you change it to 1 (second), it looks like the default Hue transition. Doing it in zigbee2mqtt MQTT means you don’t have to program it for every service call in HA. (But still have the option for longer or shorter transitions).

Just did the move this weekend. Was planning to move all to my Conbee II on zigbee2mqtt and maybe use a software Hue bridge for some unique hue features.

Still a little on the fence… Had some issues with an outdoor sensor that stopped working after a few hours, but that may be battery related. Also state reporting seems a bit off. When I apply a scene, lights change accordingly but HA doesn’t update their state, sometimes for minutes. I’m reading that Conbee II + MQTT might not be the best combination. But I hate deconz, zha doesn’t support FOH switches, and I really don’t want to by a new Zigbee dongle…

2 Likes