Is there any way to create a condition based on what device triggered an event? I want to let a in-wall smart dimmer switch control another hue light, but only when the switch is physically pressed

I installed a z-wave in-wall dimmer switch for some lights that I couldn’t replace with hue bulbs, and I hooked it up with my Home Assistant. Now I can tell Google to turn that light on or off, or to a certain percentage - or I can press the switch.

Now, there are some lights besides the ones controlled by the switch, and I was hoping to have the switch control those as well. But, I only want the switch to control it when I actually physically press the switch. I don’t want the other light to change when I control the switch through the Home Assistant (or though Google).

I looked at MQTT triggers, and even used the mosquitto-client to watch for messages to see if there was anything in the messages that said whether a state change was triggered by Home Assistant or the switch, but I couldn’t find anything there. There didn’t seem to be any differences with the messages from telling Google to change it or just pressing the button.

Does anyone know if this is possible? If so any pointers would be appreciated.

You can do that with a zwave scene.

1 Like