Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA?

Haven’t tried to stream anything to the device as an endpoint.

Anything using local audio has worked flawlessly for me. YouTube, games, music, even streams played through system webview.

Maybe the ha app needs some permission from android? Or maybe move it from a user to system app?

I had the same issue when trying to play a media file from HA, i also couldn’t get any audio when playing a Youtube video from a browser. On a whim installed Spotify and it worked like a charm, I plan on using this on my desk as a sort of heads up display and the ability to control Spotify through my HA dashboard on this device is a huge bonus

Maybe it is a webview issue. I’ll look into it.

What browser were you using?

Unzip the rom to a usb stick

Boot the edl live distro

Plug the usb stick

Read my post about paths.

I’m sure you can make it work.

@cladkins can you post your syslog while attempting to stream to the ha app?

1. On your host, run:
    adb logcat

2. Then try streaming to the client, try a few times, even if it fails.

3. Look for a pattern in the log output, then post any relevant lines here

You might find it more convenient to access adb over tcp:
adb shell setprop persist.adb.tcp.port 5555
adb connect x.x.x.x

I’m running into some issues - mostly because I am very unfamiliar with compiling anything myself. I run Windows, and tried to follow the instructions listed in the EDL Repo but I have no idea how to install / compile EDL. I was able to install Git and Python. I was able to clone the repo and the submodules. But I don’t know what to do next. I tried installing UsbDkController but the installers runs and then nothing happens
(so I don’t know if it installed or not) and then I also don’t know what to do with the uncompiled EDL that I have in a folder. Any chance someone can create a step by step for the steps under Prerequisites? Thank you!

It took me all evening but I finally got the edl install process to work on Windows 11. @mattmon your instructions on your github repo and files on Google Drive differ a little from those in this post FYI.

Things I had to do to get it to work on Windows

Install git and bash for Windows

From here. While you can probably do this entire process with command prompt, I did so using git bash.

Install libusb-win32 drivers for the device using Zadig

1. Open and download Zadig.
  2. Plug the device in to power and USB to your PC.
  3. In zadig, click Options > List All Devices.
  4. In the dropdown select the device named Android (given that you do not have another generic Android device plugged in).
  5. In the target driver window select libusb-win32 and then click Replace Driver.
  6. After the driver has successfully installed unplug the device’s power cable.

Replace libusb-1.0.dll

I’m not sure why it hasn’t been fixed given that there’s a closed bug that describes this as the fix, but the copy of libusb-1.0.dll that comes with edl doesn’t work on my machine.

1. Install edl as described for Windows, including installing UsbDk.
  2. Download libusb-1.0.26.7z from this release and unzip it with 7zip.
  3. Navigate to libusb-1.0.26\VS2015\MS64\dll and copy libusb-1.0.dll.
  4. Paste libusb-1.0.dll at edl\edlclient\Windows, overwriting the copy that came with edl.

Copy the rom bin folder into the flash folder

I’m not sure why, but edl on Windows running in bash expects bin\rawprogram.xml to also appear in the flash folder. Just copy (not cut) this folder to the flash folder.

6 Likes

And right as I was getting ready to transfer my fully kiosk license to this device the screen died. I can still connect via adb and take screenshots that show the home screen my HA dashboard but the screen just displays a flash of the boot logo and then black. What an infuriating massive fucking waste of time. Hopefully this one is just a dud and Lenovo or the seller will replace it.

Thanks! I was getting absolutely nowhere trying to make this work via WSL2… edl would just go forever and not notice that I had plugged the dang thing in.

additonal notes:

• I needed to connect through a USB hub on a surface laptop studio for the lenovo device to be recognized.

• I also needed to install the driver via Zadig a second time (it was called QUSB_BULK) after booting with both volume keys depressed.

Hi

Thnx for the image and works very nice.

2 questions.

• I see that the screen timeout you only can standby only 30 min, and would set it to off.
  • The device on my network is named kingston, is this somewhere to change?

@mattmon most things worked pretty well for me- however:
adb push extras/wallpaper.png /sdcard/Downloads/
gives me this error:

adb: error: failed to copy 'extras/wallpaper.png' to 'C:/Program Files/Git/sdcard/Downloads/': remote secure_mkdirs failed: No such file or directory

Also, for the horizontal versus vertical splash screen, it was unclear if the horizontal one can be added after flashing. It appears not-

.\adb.exe shell mv /system/media/bootanimation.zip.horiz /system/media/bootanimation.zip
mv: bad '/system/media/bootanimation.zip.horiz': No such file or directory

Flashed mine yesterday. If I remember correctly, adb push extras/wallpaper.png /sdcard/Download/ worked for me. After that install the gallery apk to select the wallpaper you uploaded usung adb.

Anyone got Assist working?
The Wallpanel app had tts notifications (haven’t tried it yet). This was my wall-mounted tablet solution for spoken notifications several years ago. But that was all before Year of the voice. It would be awesome to get some wakeword detection on this device.
Maybe I’ll dive into this when I have some spare time:

2 Likes

OK, I ran a few different tests. Spotify App, Media file in HA, Radio Station in HA, Youtube in the browser and Youtube App. The audio from the Spotify app and Youtube App worked just fine, the items not working are browser based. About to dig through the logs and see what i can find.

Edit: Here are the log files from a test from a app and one from a browser Lenovo Audio Logs - Google Drive

not sure what i’m missing but when i run edl from Powershell i’m prompted to select an app to open with the command

EDIT: doh “python edl…” i’m guessing is the command. However the process hangs after device detected :confused:

inside the edl directory in cmd or powershell run:

python setup.py build
python setup.py install

make sure you have the following in your Environment Variables (System > Environment variables)

(bottom box, look for PATH)
Then add
C:/Users//edl
C:/Program Files/Git/cmd [Check this]
C:\Program Files\UsbDk Runtime Library [Check this]

Where I have said [Check this] above be sure to check the folder exists (as it maybe Program Files (x86) )

Finally you should be able to run:
python edl qfil …

Had mentioned earlier I had picked up two of these, both new in box.

I have very little command line experience, and continued to have issues on my m2 MacBook, so installed Mint on another device I had and got everything up and running almost exclusively using copy / paste from the directions here.

I did hit a few speed bumps along the way where I did not have some items installed, but a quick search on each gave me the commands to install l, then I’d just try to run the edl again.

Items I installed along the way (HP pro desk 600, Linux Mint Cinnamon):

pyserial
Library
docopt
pyusb

After flashing one, the second took no time at all since my configuration was all set.

Thanks for linking my post, I hadn’t seen this piece of hardware and at this price point I figured I’d it doesn’t work I won’t feel bad for trying.

I’ll report back on how it works with a wake word.

Edit: just noticed the ROM is android 8.1, which doesn’t bode well as the ability to hand off the audio input between apps was slow and unreliable prior to android 10. But I’ll still try it out.

Noticing this thing feels a bit pokey in the H-A app. Any recommendations to improve the responsiveness?

I’m seeing the same thing in my dashboards. It’s pretty snappy in the rest of the app and plays my camera streams without noticeable latency, so it seems to be specific to Lovelace.

Edit: I noticed that the time and date were not updated by NTP, and so the date was a couple of weeks behind. After correcting the time and date, it’s more responsive. Still not great, but it doesn’t feel straight up broken the way it did before.

EDIT: Disabled some card-mod transitions I had across those views shaved about a second off of load times ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I created a new dashboard with only the items I deemed necessary and that seemed to help quite a bit as my normal dashboard is “heavy” lol

About a 1-3 second delay on initial view loads as seen in the my video:

3 Likes