Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA?

@mattmon did you install Lineage on your devices in the end? Wondering if you have any pointers knowing what you do about Android builds for the WiFi dropping issue a few people are experiencing. Seems it drops after some time when data isn’t being sent. I’ve not had a problem when running Fully Kiosk, probably as the connection is kept alive with constant data streaming, refreshing the dashboard. My guess anyway.

Wonder if we need a new driver or tweaks to the config. Any thoughts?

Yes, WiFi dropping. And my WiFi disconnects occur with FKB running etc, so whatever is the cause for me, it’s not related to whether there is data going back and forth (or not). I’m testing a theory that it has to do with some FKB settings, but need a few days of monitoring to see if I can spot a trend.

I might just have that setting enabled in FKB then as when that’s running I don’t see disconnects.

Still seeing wifi dropping. Mostly on a specific device but they all drop it seems. I even switched to a dedicated AP and it still drops. I read its pretty common with lineagos on these older versions. Its super annoying as it makes these things unstable for my usecases. Id like to see pmos progress to the point that its stable and has native wyoming satellite support (which it currently can support according to the rom dev thread).

What setting?

Oh wow. Interesting. Apparently people with pmos are also havent wifi autoconnect issues. Lenovo ThinkSmart View ROM/OS Development - #402 by peterschmeckler

I’ve certainly heard it discussed a lot - I thought on one of the Android topics though. Can’t remember exactly.

The solution posted in that thread fixes a userspace issue that would be specific to pmOS, not Android. So my guess is that it’s an unrelated issue.

1 Like

Hows the monitoring been going?

I’ve been able to get my TSVs to be a lot more stable on my WiFi by disabling/clearing a few settings I had initially enabled in an effort to make WiFi connection more resilient. It seems to have the opposite effect, and not using those options seems to be working better for me. These are in the ‘Device Management’ section in FKB settings.

I also did a setup a MacroDroid automation that will toggle Airplane mode on and then off when WiFi is disconnected for a certain amount of time, but have not yet had it trigger into action. Can’t speak to it’s effectiveness yet.

1 Like

Thanks for the update! Oh so you think it’s fully kiosk that’s causing it? I’m using wall panel. Wonder if those settings are for underlying android settings???

It seemed that way for me, I don’t think they are underlying Android settings - FKB features I think. Remind me, your tablets disconnect and don’t reconnect, or eventually do? How often do they drop and for how long? Have you tested without WallPanel running? How about with FKB instead, just to see if you can find any pattern… What does your AP / router show, just TSVs dropping without any errors?

My difference before and after…

2 Likes

I realise this probably falls into the category of ‘dumb question’, but have just picked on of these up and am trawling through the wealth of information available to figure out how to get it up and running as an HA dashboard; my question - can I use a regular USB cable to do the flashing or do I need an ‘EDL Cable’?

Also, I use a Mac day to day but have a Windows laptop knocking around - is one platform easier to do the flashing on than another?

Have a look at my guide:

And my dashboard:

2 Likes

Oh fantastic, this is exactly what I was after, thanks! Will get stuck into it this evening :slight_smile:

As a bonus question; have you tried using any voice assistant stuff on it? I’ve been looking to dabble with Wyoming Satellite (or similar) so I can start to get rid of Alexa devices…

Right now there are two methods to get voice assistant working on these.

There’s Dinki’s view assist method:

And my Tasker method:

Both use 3rd party applications to bridge the gap between Android and your HA server, each method has its pros and cons.

2 Likes

Was just about to mention that - you beat me to it :grin:

I’ll have to explore your other method.

1 Like

All up and running thanks to your instructions - much appreciated - would have taken me hours to figure out without them!

1 Like

Great to hear :slight_smile:

If you’re willing to give up on wake words (which always seem like a recipe for disaster anyway - between TVs uttering the wake word, or someone outside shouting them / playing them), you can have an assist button in your dashboard, without needing to install anything. All you need is a regular button card.