Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA?

Anybody else want something changed or included?

I probably won’t do this again :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey adding to the screen sleeping issues, I found on mine both the Fully Kiosk & Wallpanel API’s are still reporting screenOn=true after it’s turned off. Both through the system sleep config or with Fully’s Screen Off Timer option (which requires a license). Fully Kiosk is then unable to turn the screen back on for motion detection. Wallpanel does for a little while until I assume it then goes into a deeper sleep (and doesn’t have similar wakelock options).

I emailed with Alexey some and he’s very responsive. Sounds like Fully is checking the current screenOn setting before attempting to turn it on again, while Wallpanel sends the command regardless. He’s not keen on adding a workaround for the old Android version and first report of the issue, but thought I’d give it a shot.

So heads up for anyone who’s looking to use the motion detection option with these. Works great for me on Fire tablets without leaving the screen on all the time. I’m guessing we’ll have more luck on a newer Android (or linux!) version so I’ll keep tabs in the other thread. But also… just in case you have an idea before the new build :wink:

2 Likes

Anyway to surface the mic drivers?

Been playing with assist / Wyoming since my previous post.

Is this a 32bit or 64bit ROM?

Wyoming-satellite can run on a pi zero w 2 (x64) with local wakeword (or pi zero w 1.1 (x86) with remote wake word).

If there was a way to install openwakeword then that uses the Wyoming protocol and HA would detect it automatically and use it as a satellite.

Not sure how to achieve that in the ROM though.

Wasnt happy with the screen problems so I flashed the 200628.084 Teams & Others firmware, you can find it on xda. Got rid off the Kiosk launcher and debloated, now its more or less an Android surface. You need Magisk to update the webview (which you should do before flashing with a modified boot file)

My observation with Fully Kiosk:
Wake/Sleep works, but… The start page was unresponsive after the very first wake, even when manually reloaded (swipe down). Played around with the settings but had no luck. Im not familiar with Fully and the settings are overwhelming, I could not find a solution.

Wallpanel:
Wake/Sleep works. Dashboard is responsive after sleep. Tested now for 24 hours. It works splendidly. Wake/Sleep is very reliable. Passed by as often as I could lol Just connected mqtt and send some tts, worked fine, too. No problems with volume.

The system runs quite smooth imho, really impressed! After 24hours everything still very fluid. Super happy here, now I hope they will be back to amazon for a reasonable price.

2 Likes

Curious why andorid 8.1.0 was used rather than a newer version? Any chance of newer versions in the future?

2 Likes

I was able to figure out that part by following video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxEIS-8OQBg where zadig is used to install it, you should be in this end state
plus install drivers from the packages provided from edl github page, driver isn’t here if you download install files with git

1 Like

It was what was available. Check OP for efforts to get a new ASOP Android on there.

1 Like

Can anyone help me reproduce the backlight issue?

I diffed the user and debug rom and found they are largely the same, but the user rom includes a few backlight specific things.

If I could reliably test it, maybe I can fix it.

@DonTomato, @jakhei, @Naynner, @flyize

1 Like

Sorry, do you mean the screen sleep issue? Or something else?

Anyone knows how to proper shutdown the device ? Is it safe to just unplug it ?

This is awesome! I received my device earlier this week and spend about 1-2 hours today on flashing it. I will keep an eye on the open-source ROM development thread as well, but in the meantime I can use this existing build.

I have a question though, I’m running Mealie at home, I’d like to have the webpage as a PWA icon on the homescreen. Am I not seeing something or does this version of Android 8 not support that functionality? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

For a true pwa the dev of the web page needs to implement a couple of things, if that’s not the case, you can still use the browser feature “add to home screen”, which will result in a similar experience for your use case.
If the web dev HAS implemented it, the menu item in the browser will be named “install app”

I know there’s a difference between the 2, but the option just didn’t show up. I have now installed Nova Launcher and the option is there, fully working. I think the default included launcher is just a bit too limited, it also doesn’t have a lot of the Android 8 features, such as the pull down menu, the app drawer and such

When I set screen timeout in android settings then open HA app, it successfully turns off the screen one time. But any subsequent times, the screen stays illuminated.

If I close HA, so back to the Home Screen, timeout works properly and screen turns off after 15 seconds.

Anyone know why? Is this in line with the issues others are seeing?

1 Like

It is sadly…

Did anyone try using automagic or similar to make a script to do timeout? (A hacky way but may solve the issue).

EDIT: Used automagic to lock the screen after an amount of time. Not ideal but does what i need.

I can’t reproduce this. If I could, I might fix it :slightly_smiling_face:

Planning on doing this in the next day or so. Safe to say that the instructions in the first post are generally current?

I’ll read through the thread and search as well so not being completely lazy but any tips for someone without a functioning Windows or Linux system? I have a Mac mini m1 but also an older MBA l that’s not doing anything.

Planning on using a usb bootable Linux which something I’ve done many times but it’s been a while. Any recommended distro?

Sorry for the n00b questions. Excited about trying this out and hopefully contributing in some way.

Thanks to all of the work everyone has done on this.

I used the Live DVD iso on the edl flash tool github page linked in the OP, it was fairly painless that way without having to setup all the dependencies and such: GitHub - bkerler/edl: Inofficial Qualcomm Firehose / Sahara / Streaming / Diag Tools :)

2 Likes

I have a Mac mini m1

You should be fine on the M1. That’s what I have and the tips in this post is also what I did. Got a second one recently and had it flashed in about 15 minutes.

Another couple points for folks who’ve never used Android dev tools (like myself)…

1. All these adb... commands are things you run on your computer while it has a USB connection to the device. This seems very obvious in hindsight, but I just assumed there would be some sort of terminal on the ThinkSmart.
  2. For MacOS, install adb using Brew: brew install android-platform-tools

Installing HomeBrew itself will take a while if you don’t already have it, but running the adb commands didn’t work for me until I tried using that.

I also placed the download files inside and outside of the folder they come in (in the same directory as EDL), not sure which it actually used.

I used the bkerler’s edl linked in the installation instructions. To get it to actually flash I had to navigate to the EDL directory within terminal first, then run ./edl qfil bin/rawprogram.xml bin/patch0.xml flash/ --loader=bin/prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn

1 Like