Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA?

I’m trying to understand the limitations of turning screen off/on on 8.1 ROM.

I have fully kiosk single app running the HA companion app. I’ve installed the Fully Kiosk integration and it works. I can see the various settings and controllers.

The switch labelled ‘screen’ does turn the screen off but not on. After a few seconds the switch turns back on but the screen doesn’t come on. I’ve seen various posts here about turning the screen on but not sure if they are related. The screen brightness control works ok it seems but dims down, not fully turning off.

Sorry if this has already been answered but couldn’t see that.

Any thoughts or is this still a limitation of this ROM version?

I found screen on toggle doesn’t work either. I was able to work around that by turning off display with screen off, and to get display back on I just change brightness to any value (usually 254 then 255). I also toggle screen back on just so I can easily turn off again.

Good tip thanks!

I’m just setting up an nspanel pro which does work, so a bit frustrating this one doesn’t work (yet). Hopefully it will improve over time with all the good work going on here - it’s much appreciated as these devices are amazing.

@dinki curious if your github repo instructions would work with android 8? I currently have 2 thinksmarts, 1 is running PMOS which seems a bit buggy at the moment. The other has A8 installed and im curious if i could get the whole ViewAssist stuff running on A8 instead of having to try and reflash the stock firmware and then flash A11 again (something about partitions being different). Im also seeing a number of different android apps for AutoStart Manager and Webview DevTools. Could you provide links to the specific ones you’re using?

Just a follow up here. So far the ViewAssist is working just fine in A8 on the ThinkSmart. This is great.

2 Likes

Hey friend. Glad you were able to get it going with A8. The biggest ‘issue’ I had with A8 was the inability to get Browser Mod to use the Thinksmart as a media device. Were you able to accomplish this? Also, a smaller issue is the lack of upgrades for WebView. This is restrictive in that some CSS I’m using, particularly the word wrap, was not working on A8.

Would be interested in your thoughts of the View Assist install and getting things going but might be better suited on my VA thread or PM is good too. I’m working on what I think is major improvements to better allow for multiple VA devices and having them operate independently.

How do you guys boot this into EDL mode? I plug the cable in and then press both vol +/- right away and keep holding it but it keeps booting into system. Am I missing anything here? Thanks and sorry I haven’t used Android for awhile.

Nvm got it figured out, if anyone bumps into this No Backend error on macOS (MB Air M2) like me:

File "/Users/username/edl/./edl", line 199, in doconnect
    self.cdc.connected = self.cdc.connect(portname=self.portname)
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/Users/username/edl/edlclient/Library/Connection/usblib.py", line 219, in connect
    devices = usb.core.find(find_all=True, backend=self.backend)
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.12/lib/python3.12/site-packages/usb/core.py", line 1309, in find
    raise NoBackendError('No backend available')
usb.core.NoBackendError: No backend available

type this in terminal, would save you some time:

echo 'export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/homebrew/lib:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH"' >> ~/.zshenv
ln -s /opt/homebrew/lib ~/lib

Hold both buttons before plugging in (or use a switched socket to make that easier).

Hi, do you have any updates on A11 rom improvements. Is there’s any link where it is possible to check current dev or help with testing?

How do I change the hostname and other network settings?

Edit - found it if anyone needs it:

adb shell
getprop net.hostname
setprop net.hostname <new_hostname>
1 Like

That worked well thanks!

I now have the screens turning off via a simple script when my presence sensor detects no movement and then on again using the brightness control. I did find that (obviously) you can’t leave the brightness at 255 etc as when you set it to 255 again, nothing has changed and it doesn’t wake the screen. So in the script, I dim to 0 and then 4 seconds later, I turn the screen off. Turning on, I set the screen boolean on and then set the brightness back to 255. Seems to work ok.

1 Like

How it’s related to my question? See original author’s post I’m replying to, it’s specifically mentioned android 11

This thread has been mainly focused on A8, while there is a separate thread discussing the progress toward an A11 solution. The link that was shared with you would be the best place to check current dev / help with testing.

there’s nothing related to A11 in that discussion neither, I want to hear from the person initially posted A11 improved build to see if there’s new updates, so I’m asking in the original thread he posted to

1 Like

Yeah I’m now stuck at running ADB shell commands for softkeys and provision. Swapped out a bunch of cable yet I still cannot get adb shell to recognize the device. Do you have any tips, thanks!

you don’t have to boot it into “EDL mode” to run ADB commands, you’re aware of that?

Yes I’m aware of that, just need to connect it to my laptop but when I list adb devices it returns empty and the USB option in the Lenovo is grey out. I tried to re-flash for a couple times but still the same.

ok, I was only able to get this going through ubuntu, can’t really help you here sorry buddy.

1 Like

Alright I got it now, for some reasons my macOS does not recognize it using all USB-C cables (all Anker and Apple), so I swapped to a USB A to USB C and it works now.

1 Like