Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA?

Anyone using the A11 ROM and know how to prevent the device from sleeping? I’m trying for an always on display but for unknown reasons this ROM will not cooperate with keeping the screen on when idle.

I’m using the A11 ROM. I have been using Automagic along with the proximity sensor. I have mine set to turn off the screen after 5 minutes. The proximity sensor works perfectly and turns on the display when someone is in front of the device. I’ll test the “turn screen on” function and set it to something like 12 hours. I’ll post the test result soon.

Now I’m not 100% certain that it’s not the IP Webcam software I’m using that’s taking over the screen for no reason or Wallpanel app is crashing. What I’m really trying to do is to always have wallpanel app showing on the screen.

Ive since jumped over to the snowboy hotword plugin setup and if you’re comfortable with the pretrained models, it seems to be working much better than ip cam. ip cam and wallpanel kept crashing on me as well (as well as the mic in HA being turned off all the time which i ended up writing an automation for to keep it on all the time) and i havent experienced that using the android companion app, hotword plugin (using just alexa. Although i did have to download a different pretrained model that seems to be much more accurate) and tasker. Its not perfect, but i think until we see a better ROM or PMOS release it’ll do. As far as the screen, i set it to stay on always in developer options and always on in the companion app and somewhere in the settings as well.

1 Like

I guess I’m just having issues with Wallpanel crashing. IP Webcam keeps running and I don’t get the mic off unless I restart the ThinkSmart. So you are running companion and life is good? I may have to give that a try.

I know nothing about snowboy. Is there a guide?

I followed this: Setting up a 100% local smart speaker on an Android tablet using Tasker and Snowboy to handle wake word detection the snowboy stuff is bundled inside the Hotword Plugin apk so basically you just need to install, companion, tasker or the free automation apk in that link, and the hotword plugin.

1 Like

you’re still running on this 8.1 ROM though?

Sorry, no, A11.

I have this issue too with the backlight will turn off (and does turn back on when I tap the screen) after my desired timeout setting but the display will stay on. I had the teams apk frozen and unfroze to check it made no difference for the display staying on after the backlight turns off.

For some info I have my Thinksmart setup following Chewie610’s steps on XDA forums staying on 8.1 rooted with Magisk for MicroG, Playstore and custom webview.

I had some of these initial teething problems, but since then, it seems to be working okay now using WallPanel on the OP’s ROM.

I basically have it set to turn on the screen with camera motion (I don’t believe these have a proximity sensor) and to keep the screen on for 10 minutes before reverting back to the screensaver clock.

So far, it seems to be working well, though I’m still playing around with the light settings for detecting motion when the lighting is a bit dimmer.

Funny though, I’ve been installing custom ROMs going back to the Pandigital tablet in 2010. I expected and had teething problems then, but I’m a bit surprised to see these teething problems on today’s tablets…granted…the Lenovo is a bit of a purpose-built tablet.

1 Like

Hi shortlurker,
Not sure if this will help; in my working configuration I did not install MicroG, nor Playstore, and I chose the “ungoogled” chromium for the webview. Picking the webview was not intuitive, pressing the up & down volume, I didn’t install the correct version multiple times because of the selection process. I sideloaded the Fully Kiosk, and the screen backlight on/off has been working like a champ. If you look at my prior post, I only uninstalled on the list of app to the oem.vietnam, the remainder of the apps going down the list I’ve left installed. When I did the test with “com.microsoft.skype.teams.ipphone” I had uninstalled all of the languages, and then jumped to the “com.microsoft.skype.teams.ipphone” and uninstalled it. I rebooted, and after the reboot, the backlight on/off with Fully Kiosk when belly up. Reinstalling “com.microsoft.skype.teams.ipphone” and a reboot had the screenbacklight on/off working correctly via Fully Kiosk.

Glad I decided to just freeze them instead of uninstalling. I’ll try and unfreeze the ones you left installed on yours to see what happens first. I have left kingston.devicesettings unfrozen since I have noticed without it apps like tinyCam with the “keep screen on” setting doesn’t work.

Worst case I’ll just reset it and start all over again and catch when the issue happens.

Any chance there’s haptic feedback available for this thing somehow?

I’m about to throw this thing in the junk bin. Make one change and the A11 rom crashes to the Lenovo screen on boot. Very frustrating to say the least.

Then don’t use the A11 image. I’m running the one in the OP and its mostly smooth sailing.

I wish it were that easy for me. I need to update webview and that’s not easy for A8. Also I am relying on browser mod for sound and that doesn’t work for A8 either.

Not sure about “freezing” apps, what I used was this command format:

adb shell cmd package install-existing com.microsoft.skype.teams.ipphone

And sorry if I’m covering something really basic, I’m not an android guy, and working with this Lenovo is my first real experience so when I found this command, I was super happy about not having to restart from scratch each time I was testing.
Jeff

Give the companion app and tasker options a try. Mine arent crashing on A11 any longer and seem to be running pretty smoothly. The wake word stuff is still not super accurate but its better than what i was experiencing with ip cam stuff.

I’m having some issues with streaming camera feeds on 8.1 so I might try having a go at A11.

What guide is best to follow and is it a case of lots of bits from all over the place to get a stable base install going?

I did try the companion app but unfortunately I am not getting the media player device exposed when using Browser Mod. Are you having luck with that? I would love to switch over to something more stable than Wallpanel is on this device.

Wake word works well for me on the Thinksmart but I do think the microphone is not as sensitive as the FireHD tablets I’m using.