Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA?

I wish it were that easy for me. I need to update webview and that’s not easy for A8. Also I am relying on browser mod for sound and that doesn’t work for A8 either.

Not sure about “freezing” apps, what I used was this command format:

adb shell cmd package install-existing com.microsoft.skype.teams.ipphone

And sorry if I’m covering something really basic, I’m not an android guy, and working with this Lenovo is my first real experience so when I found this command, I was super happy about not having to restart from scratch each time I was testing.
Jeff

Give the companion app and tasker options a try. Mine arent crashing on A11 any longer and seem to be running pretty smoothly. The wake word stuff is still not super accurate but its better than what i was experiencing with ip cam stuff.

I’m having some issues with streaming camera feeds on 8.1 so I might try having a go at A11.

What guide is best to follow and is it a case of lots of bits from all over the place to get a stable base install going?

I did try the companion app but unfortunately I am not getting the media player device exposed when using Browser Mod. Are you having luck with that? I would love to switch over to something more stable than Wallpanel is on this device.

Wake word works well for me on the Thinksmart but I do think the microphone is not as sensitive as the FireHD tablets I’m using.

Followed this guide by @dinki : Lenovo ThinkSmart · dinki/View-Assist Wiki · GitHub to get A11 going. I didnt have much luck with browser mod and ip cam so i switched to this guide Setting up a 100% local smart speaker on an Android tablet using Tasker and Snowboy to handle wake word detection by @Endlessvoid Props to both.

@dinki what again do you need a media player exposed for in browser mod? just audio feedback? The second link above with the companion app, tasker and a11 provides audio feedback without having to do anything. Hotword Plugin also provides a Beep notification for when the word is detected. Tasker pops up a submodule of he companion app for doing voice detection and audio feedback works just fine.

1 Like

Thanks very much.

I’m also trying to make the speaker available for media playback as well. On top of that, I’m trying to make the installation as simple as I can for other users to replicate. While I don’t doubt what you have would work, it seems to involve a lot more than I’d like in terms of set up. Also really would like to keep the ‘Ok Nabu’ wake words especially if I’ll be demoing this on the livestream.

1 Like

Is there a way to avoid paying for Tasker again since I’ve already paid for it when downloaded from Google Play store? The Aurora store is asking for my money before I download it from it. Yes I am cheap.

I’d update your device to A11, which comes with google services so you can get your purchased apks on these devices. There is also a free tasker like apk in that post called automate or something.

Fair points. You can train words with that hotword plugin via a website linked there that people have said works fairly well. Gotta record your voice like 25 times saying the hotword and once thats done, you offload the STT to HA via the companion app.

1 Like

Ahh. So instead of doing adb shell pm uninstall you run adb shell pm disable on system apps where it’s greyed out in the app properties within android. Then if something goes wrong you can just enable it again usually within android and without using adb.

1 Like

Thank you very much shortlurker!!!

2 Likes

I know one of the areas of difficulty for the 8.1 ROM is audio playback. Having read through the comments and searched, I’m still unsure if getting audio playing through the browser is possible? In my case, I’m streaming a camera feed via WebRTC from Frigate. After a lot of fiddling to get a good stream, it seems to be working but audio won’t play. Works ok on other browsers.

This is running through Fully Kiosk Browser (not using the HA companion app)

Thanks.

I’m trying to get audio working - did anyone get any further with this now we are a few months down the road?

Thanks.

Hi pgale, Does audio work when you try with WebView Browser? (the one that is used to valid the webview installation)

I’m not sure what you mean - I’ve tried Fully Kiosk Browser which uses webview and I also installed Chrome but neither work.

I meant when you install Webview via Magisk, it installs a “browser” that is used to test the implementation of webview. You can actually use it to browse whatever site you want. I just checked, and I’m able to play audio through it from my local instance of Ampache.

Are you talking about A11? I’m on 8.1 still

No, 8.1. If you follow the “deadman” guide, after you flash, and install Magisk, you install a webview. As part of that install, a “Webview Browser” opens up to test in the installed webview. It stays installed, and as I said, you can browse to any site you like in it. Couple of things, I mentioned earlier to shortlurker, I had a devil of a time getting the the Webview to install, the volume up/volume down selection didn’t always work. I finally got “ungoogled” chromium installed, and that seems to be working for most of my needs. Also, I’m beginning to think (and I’m not a android guy, so talking out of my hat a bit here) that some “base” functionality is actually proved via of the “apps” that are installed; this is based on my experience with Fully Kiosk, the camera motion detection, screen backlight, and uninstallation/installation of com.microsoft.skype.teams.ipphone. Did you uninstall “apps” after you flashed?

1 Like