Issue with adding cards to lovelace since auto ID's started

I’m not seeing any error with that

Probably because you are on a newer version where they have removed the requirement for ID’s on each card. I’d imagine that once I update I’ll not have to assign ID’s to any new cards I create…?

It was the same in 0.81.1 when they removed it

strange then… It wont let me add cards without an ID. It just holds up the loading of lovelace completely. Ctrl+F5 wont even fix it. I tried on multiple PC’s too

I’m a little confused by all this, especially since I’ve seen that IDs are a requirement for the new “UI editor for Lovelace cards” in 0.82

None of my cards have IDs. At all. Irrespective of if they were created before or after 0.81.x (although I might have skipped one or two of the point versions.)

Anyway, bottom line, do I need to go through and add IDs manually for all my cards? My ui-lovelace.yaml is HUGE!!

Also, I couldn’t find IDs documented anywhere… can you point me in the right direction please.

There is a special card you can create.

resources:
  - url: /local/custom-lovelace/migrate-card/migrate-card.js
    type: module

then this…

- type: custom:migrate-card

On one of your cards.

Then you will have this:

and tapping that will populate your cards with id’s

Where can migrate-card.js be found?

might be useful huh… https://github.com/bramkragten/custom-ui/tree/master/migrate-card
sorry about that!

1 Like

I can’t get it to work (hass.io ha 0.82.0). Doesn’t matter. I’ll just continue to punch them in manually like I always have been using the id parameter for it’s intent of naming the web page displayed.

I am using it on hass.io 0.82

In fact, when I added it, I didn’t even need to restart hassio it showed the migrate card immediately.

Works for me also on 0.82
Thanks David, saved a lot of typing

1 Like

Thanks David this looks really useful - especially now we know where to get it from :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I don’t want to get too OCD about this but does it add random IDs made up of meaningless strings of characters? I’m just wondering if I’d rather have them be meaningful… But does it matter in the slightest?

2 Likes

They have no real meaning so far as I know - they can be anything. If nothing else, they at least show you where the ID’s need to go as it’s a bit confusing… a stack for instance has one ID for the whole stack but if you just have multiple cards, they all get their own ID.

You can also run it again if you add new cards.

They just enable the ‘edit’ GUI in Lovelace.

1 Like

Mine doesn’t work either…

Using the id: allows me to go directly to that tab on my web browser by addressing the id I specified. (i.e. a title tagged “id: calendar”).

http://pi3:8123/lovelace/calendar

Where i can find this ‘edit’ GUI in lovelace? I’m on 0.82.0

I finally got mine to work after stumbling across needing to add this to my configuration.yaml:

frontend:
  javascript_version: latest
1 Like

I already had that in my config as I needed it for iOS app. Always something to bite you huh?

1 Like

I’ve gone back and edited them into english. That didn’t appear to break anything.

Unfortunately that didn’t work for me.