Issue with device tracking

and how old are these updates? More than 5 minutes old right?

I’m not entirely sure I understand your question? My log time started at 10am EST. I see the skipping location entry about every 30 seconds or so. Finally at 10:30 EST a location update was sent to HA. That is at least a 30 minute time period where no location update was sent from the phone and it was moving for 15 of those minutes.

do you see how you masked the time here

the xxxxx is a timestamp provided in milliseconds. Now reading the actual log line, how much time passed when you compare the timestamps? This site can help you understand the time of the location updates. The timestamp is part of a location update and the app needs to check if a location update is current or not. Google provides the app a timestamp and at times it can be very old, or older than what we would consider current which is 5 minutes.

https://currentmillis.com/

Ok, I see what you are talking about and yes, the time stamps are more than 5 minutes apart. However when I take the coordinates reported with each entry and look them up on Google Maps that was my exact route home and where I was at the time of the entry.

From what I can see based on the entries, the current timestamp and the coordinates reported are correct, not sure where this old timestamp entry comes into play.

that is the timestamp that google has attached with the location update, its out of our control. We have to evaluate it and reject updates that are later than what we expect.

So, there is no way to fix this? I just don’t understand how the app is seeing the correct coordinates and won’t report them? Is there anyway to force the app to report it, say every 1 to 2 minutes? Maybe going off the Google timestamp isn’t the way to go?

Location update data comes Google.

Its because Google is sending us an old timestamp. 5 minutes is too much time to pass for a location update to valid for most people.

it already does that, but you can also use high accuracy mode if you desire.

If we don’t evaluate it you will see updates from a week ago because they do indeed send us updates that old too. I have seen them send me the same update 8 minutes apart and the time did not change. Literally the same location update.

So I’m back. I’m still having issues with this on my end as well. It seems like tracking works for like 30 minutes after launching the app on my phone but then it goes into lalal land. Example, my car has been at the shop for the last two days, the phone is on in the glove-box. But so far as HA is concerned the phone is at my home.

without logs we will not know what the issue is.