Issue with node-red-contrib-alexa-remote2

Thanks for the flow. Sadly, I can’t get it to work. What am I missing?

I have never used the Alexa Init Node nor the Catch node.
I changed the Alexa Account to my Alexa Account and added an inject for testing. What might have I missed?

Did you authenticate through the browser the first time with the URL it gives?

Also you shouldn’t need the true as you can trigger the 1 hour loop with the little button to the left.

Every two or three days. That is what I am hoping to avoid.

This is what I saw this morning. Is the status error message normal?

No, you shouldn’t see the port error message. With everything good one will say “Success” and the other “Ready”. Do you have something else that may be doing something similar on the same 3456 port?

That was it. I didn’t delete the extra ‘Alexa Account’ from the import.

I haven’t done anything with CakeBake yet…
But can CakeBake and alexa-remote2 coexist?

cakebake is an alexa-remote2 fork from the initial work. You must uinstall one prior to installing the next one, either if it is cakebake or applestruddle.

Cakebake is no longer being maintained, just go with applestruddle

How long before AppleStreudle is unsupported?

1 Like

Unless that’s a rhetorical question, it would be best to ask its author:

FWIW, it was updated to version 5.0.8 about 17 days ago so it appears it’s still being supported.

No, it’s frustration. I avoid using custom components because the author often loses interest.

You never know but it’s been maintained for a long time now… and the component is worth it. For your peace of mind you might better leave it…

Many Node-Red nodes are created and maintained by volunteer contributors. If the node’s author abandons it, and the node is sufficiently popular, someone may fork the project (on GitHub) and continue enhancing it. That’s what happened with the original alexa-remote2. Its author abandoned it, it was forked as cakebaked and, when that also was abandoned, forked yet again as applestrudel.

The same holds true for Home Assistant’s custom components which are distributed via GitHub and can be forked.

As consumers of all of this valuable and free work, we may occasionally need to switch from using one fork to another. That’s a small inconvenience compared to not being able to take advantage of it at all.

1 Like

Dear all, I would try the latest “dessert Version” starting form the original version.
Is there a “best recipie” for execution of the migration?

Or is this the most comfortable…:

• Done:…Export all flows to file
  • Done:…Delete all flows
  • How to:…Uninstall “node-red-contrib-alexa-remote2” via UI
  • Install “node-red-contrib-alexa-remote2-applestrudel” via UI
  • Import flows from file
  • Restart Node-RED

Failed in deleting the Palette, hints welcome pls, no option found to remove…(kindly see picture below)?

THX M
DeletePalette

I thought Struedel was the latest version?

THX right, copied without review from above … and now updated the post above to strudel

THX M

That’s a good question. I’ve never deleted a node from the palette.