Issue with Variables Not Resolving in Node-RED After Update

Hi everyone,

I’ve encountered an issue with notifications in Home Assistant since the latest update (version 2024.10.0). Previously, I was able to include sensor values in notifications using Jinja templates like this:

{
  "message": "Today: {{ states('sensor.inverter_dzienna_produkcja') }} kWh",
  "title": "Solar Energy Summary",
  "data": {
    "color": "#388e3c",
    "notification_icon": "mdi:solar-panel"
  }
}

This worked perfectly before the update, and the sensor values were displayed correctly. However, after updating to 2024.10.0, the variables in the notification are no longer being resolved and appear as plaintext, showing the raw template code (e.g., {{ states('sensor.inverter_dzienna_produkcja') }}) instead of the actual sensor values.

Interestingly, if I send a notification directly from the “Actions” tab in Home Assistant, where I include a variable, the notification displays correctly with the resolved sensor values. However, this approach doesn’t work when sending the notification via Node-RED, where the variables appear as raw text.

Has anyone else experienced this after the update? Is this a bug in the latest version or has there been a change in how templates and variables should be handled in notifications?

Any insights or workarounds would be greatly appreciated. If it’s a known issue, is there a planned fix?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Experiencing the same issue. Confirming that functionality stopped after Home Assistant Core update 2024.10.0 was installed.

2 Likes

Same issue, the time section of my push notifications are now showing as the raw code eg “Patio door opened at {{now().strftime(‘%-I:%M %p’)}}”

It had been working fine for months until the 2024.10 update. Any suggestions?

1 Like
1 Like