Issues with Hue Dimm Switch without Hue Bridge just ZHA

Hi
I am a novice at Home Assistant and I am assuming that I am just missing something.
I have tried a simple configuration. Without the Philips Hue Bridge only with ZHA.
Hue Light Strip (LWA017) and Hue Dimm Switch (RWL021 324131137411).
I was able to integrate both via the Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus without any further issues.

I can control the light via the GUI,
LST002 turned on triggered by service light.turn_on
10:11:27 PM - 1 hour ago - ha_user
LST002 turned off triggered by service light.turn_off
10:11:26 PM - 1 hour ago - ha_user

The switch seems to be detected correctly as well
"RWL021 A On event was fired
11:02:05 PM - 8 minutes ago
RWL021 A Off With Effect event was fired with parameters: {‘effect_id’: 0, ‘effect_variant’: 0}
11:02:05 PM - 8 minutes ago

But I can’t get it to work with the switch to control the Hue Light Strip.

aka: New Automation
description: “”
trigger:

• device_id: d328499b6b595ea9bdc463cba08c8c37
    domain: zha
    platform: device
    type: remote_button_short_press
    subtype: turn_on
    condition: []
    action:
  • type: toggle
    device_id: 9be57f1182d7243e9959df4baa6f22cf
    entity_id: light.signify_netherlands_b_v_lst002_huelight
    domain: light
    mode: single

What am I doing wrong?

You may want to consider searching for a Blueprint for your Hue dimmer switch. This will make using the dimmer much easier.

Indeed, it is easier and I did before with 3 different Blueprints

but none worked so I thought I was missing something. A link between the light and the dimmer.

Looks like my Dimmer is to old Model: 324131137411 for this Blueprints…

Is that the RWL021?

I think so, my Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus found it as:

RWL021 by Philips
Connected via Zigbee Coordinator
Firmware: 0x42006f9d

but on the back side of the switch I can only see this:

Philips
Hue dimmer switch
Model: 324131137411

With the Blueprint from ZHA - Philips Hue Dimmer Switch - vanstinator/zha-philips-hue-dimmer-switch-rwl020-rwl021.yaml, I was able to put it on but that was all. No power off no dimming.

I use this one here

Yes this is the one from above. And you have the same Model ?

I believe this works with RWL020 and RWL021.

What kind of Model Number do you have on the back of your switch?

My bad! Actually I’m using the blueprint here

Nop the only Blueprint that partialy works for me is from vanstinator zha-philips-hue-dimmer-switch-rwl020-rwl021.yaml.
Looks like I have to lern yaml.

Sorry I couldn’t help. Good luck.

No Problem I figured it out.

TheJulianJES ([BUG] Wrong commands Hue Dimmer Switch 324131137411(EU) RWL021 · Issue #1633 · zigpy/zha-device-handlers · GitHub) gives me the right hint:
“…or pressing a button on the dimmer during reconfiguring.”

And now it works also with this Blueprint, which is more comfortable.

Thanks for trying.

I’ve had some infuriating issues with just one Hue dimmer that I’ve used with no issues for years. Strangely, it was just failing to run any automation I threw at it with any reliability, apart from a simple light toggle. No Blueprint or config change would help - until I found the above Blueprint.

All my other Hue dimmers of identical model numbers are working fine. Z2M show the same firmware and model numbers for all of them.

Thank you for posting this, it’s solved my issue!

I had odd issues with my Philips Hue switch.
What I had found, was that the one button was no longer triggering a button event, but rather some other event with extra options. Second press was a turn off event with details.
What I found was that a quick press of the reset button on the back switched it BACK to just triggering turn on event for power button.
It’s like it has a different mode or something.
No other changes were required in Home Assistant to get it to work again.
I hope this helps. (Maybe even future me will find this when it happens again)

Did it show differently in your device page @nabucasa6 when you did that?

I’ve got a problem with my RWL022, but the difference being I’m using a SkyConnect v1.0 whereas @NihilUnum was using a Sonoff Zigbee dongle.

I can pair the unit by pushing and holding the reset button on the back of the RWL022 for 10 seconds and it pairs OK in HA, but then a minute later I get:

And no matter what I do, any button presses etc it just won’t behave.
I can do Reconfigure but it too also fails with:

And this will happen no matter if I do or don’t press any buttons on the front, or reset switch being briefly pressed either.

Checked the system logs and I have two entries:

Logger: homeassistant.components.zha.core.cluster_handlers
Source: components/zha/core/cluster_handlers/__init__.py:559
integration: Zigbee Home Automation (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 5:36:43 PM (4 occurrences)
Last logged: 5:41:28 PM

[0x5C78:1:0x1000]: Couldn't get list of groups: Failed to deliver message: <EmberStatus.DELIVERY_FAILED: 102>

And followed by:

Logger: homeassistant
Source: components/zha/core/cluster_handlers/__init__.py:74
First occurred: 5:38:35 PM (4 occurrences)
Last logged: 5:43:19 PM

Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/cluster_handlers/__init__.py", line 63, in wrap_zigpy_exceptions
    yield
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/cluster_handlers/__init__.py", line 83, in wrapper
    return await RETRYABLE_REQUEST_DECORATOR(func)(*args, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/zigpy/util.py", line 131, in retry
    return await func()
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/zigpy/zcl/__init__.py", line 377, in request
    return await self._endpoint.request(
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/zigpy/endpoint.py", line 253, in request
    return await self.device.request(
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/zigpy/device.py", line 339, in request
    await send_request()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/zigpy/application.py", line 841, in request
    await self.send_packet(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/bellows/zigbee/application.py", line 931, in send_packet
    raise zigpy.exceptions.DeliveryError(
zigpy.exceptions.DeliveryError: Failed to deliver message: <EmberStatus.DELIVERY_FAILED: 102>

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/device.py", line 603, in async_configure
    await self.identify_ch.trigger_effect(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/cluster_handlers/__init__.py", line 82, in wrapper
    with wrap_zigpy_exceptions():
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/contextlib.py", line 158, in __exit__
    self.gen.throw(value)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/cluster_handlers/__init__.py", line 74, in wrap_zigpy_exceptions
    raise HomeAssistantError(message) from exc
homeassistant.exceptions.HomeAssistantError: Failed to send request: Failed to deliver message: <EmberStatus.DELIVERY_FAILED: 102>

Any ideas / suggestions would be appreciated, coz if it’s not even getting events to / from the device then there’s no point diving into Blueprints etc right?

It was working fine on the Hue Bridge until I changed it to “Configure in another app” and oddly enough there it was reporting full battery, despite HA thinking it’s got 18%?

Related perhaps?