It seems I have two installations of Homeassistant

I tried to upgrade homeassistant a while ago, and gave up. Hence the installation failed:

Installing Python packages...
Looking in indexes: https://pypi.org/simple, https://www.piwheels.org/simple
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement homeassistant==
ERROR: No matching distribution found for homeassistant==
Deactivating virtualenv...

I am using hassbian in rasberry pi, and my previous methods for upgrading was typing:
$ sudo hassbian-config upgrade homeassistant
This has been working previously.

So, I have read that you instead can install it via virtual environment (I do not fully understand how this works):
$ source /srv/homeassistant/bin/activate
$ sudo pip3 install --upgrade homeassistant

This works without any errors, and I can confirm the the install succeeds, as a second upgrade tells me the latest version is already installed.

Though, my Raspberry Pi, still starts up the old version, even after reboot.

I am not sure how to continue and use the correct version in my system. I obviously have two versions of homeassistant installed.
I have not changed the source to /home/homeassistant/bin/activate, as this folder is empty. I only have hidden folders here, including the hidden ‘.homeassistant’, which contains my configuration files which is currently used by the “old” version.
The same goes for the /home/pi folder, only hidden folders. Nothing connected to homeassistant here…

Maybe I am using the latest version after all? When typing:
$ cd /usr/local/bin
$ hass --version
I get the latest version 0.118.4
The same goes for:
$ cd /srv/homeassistant/bin
$ hass --version
Version 0.118.4
But still, looking in the UI in ‘Developer Tools->Info’, it shows 100.2???

NOTE: I removed the file .HA_VERSION in the folder /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant
It is regenerated when rebooting the device, and still the version number 0.100.2 is in that file. So maybe still I am using 100.2…

You definitely have two versions. Your running version is 100.2 - then somewhere you have 118.4 in a dormant state, that you’ve upgraded.

Without knowing your system structure it’s hard to get to the bottom of this, but I would say that hassbian is an old and unsupported way of running homeassistant.

If this were me, I would:

• backup the entire contents of the configuration directory
  • reformat the sd card and install a more up-to-date method

Re the second step, you can choose to continue to use the venv installation if you want to, although it seems that you’re running into problems with that method.

Either use the hassos method, or if you want to use your pi for multiple services use either the docker method or the ‘supervised’ method. Both the hassos and supervised method are more fully featured and easier to use.

1 Like

Thanks, I will investigate how to reinstall the system. Maybe that is the best way.

Yeah, I think that’s the best. First of all back up your configuration, then…

Once the new system is up you can copy your old configuration back in.

Though, it seems the default most supported method to install does not work flashing on a USB-drive (which I am using). So I need to manually install it anyway.
Under the installation process I noticed HA requires python3.8 which is not in raspbian libraries.

So, anyone got the default installation, flashing HA on a USB-drive, to work?

AFAIK that should work fine, the pi just sees the drive connected to the USB, it doesn’t ‘know’ whether it’s a link to an SSD or any other storage device.

Oh, so it does work then. Not sure why it did not for me. Maybe I should try it again.
Sitting and compiling for ever now python3.8. :smile:

1 Like