ITead’s “Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus V2” (model "ZBDongle-E") based on Silicon Labs EFR32MG21 +20dBm radio SoC/MCU

FYI, while many people reported that ITead’s TI CC2652P based “Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus” (model “ZBDongle-P)” can be a better Zigbee Coordinator and is recommended for Zigbee2MQTT, quite a few people have reported that ITead’s “Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus V2” (model “ZBDongle-E”) works better as a dedicated Zigbee signal repeater / Zigbee range extender if you flash it with Zigbee Router firmware and then power it with a simple USB-changer before you pair/join it to your Zigbee network → Sonoff_Zigbee_Dongle_Firmware/Dongle-E/Router at master · itead/Sonoff_Zigbee_Dongle_Firmware · GitHub

I highly recommend buying three (3) ZBDongle-E to re-flash and repurpose as Zigbee Router devices.

There is more related discussion about that here → Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference and optimize for getting better range + coverage

FYI, it is recommended to update to later firmware → https://github.com/Koenkk/Z-Stack-firmware

Is the dongle E vs dongle P still an issue with zigbee2mqtt?

I ordered a dongle P, but received an E. Set it up on zigbee2mqtt and it worked without issue and using a few sonoff s31 plugs as repeaters.

I only have 5 end devices at this point.

Before I expand I want to see if it’s going to be an issue moving forward.

I can always repurpose it as a router/repeater if needed

There is still only have experimental support for Silicon Labs EmberZNet based adapters in the zigbee-herdsman libary it depends on but if you upgrade to the very latest community firmware and use Zigbee2MQTT Edge (beta) releases then there is a new ”Ember” driver that you can configure it to use that is supposedly better than their ”EZSP” driver. Note that you should post any follow-up questions to that the in the Zigbee2MQTT community discussion forum on GitHub instead → https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt/discussions

I have a general question as I own a ZBDongle-E to which I have connected several Xiaomi humidity sensors using the zigbee2mqtt protocol.

My question is as follows: I have purchased a https://moeshouse.com/products/wifi-3-in-1-co2-monitor
It says that it is fully compatible with the Tuya protocol. Do I need to buy anything extra for it to be recognized by Home Assistant, or will the adapter I have work? I have Home Assistant running on a Raspberry Pi 4.

@Chris1989 all such questions about Zigbee2MQTT compatbility or support should not be posted/asked here in the Home Assistant forum but instead to Zigbee2MQTT’s own community discussions/forum → Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt · Discussions · GitHub

Though you can more or less find the same answer here for all new Zigbee products that you want to use in Z2M → https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/advanced/support-new-devices/01_support_new_devices.html

Edit: Update! Wait, the linked product is WiFi based (and not a Zigbee device), so can tell you that no Wi-Fi devices will ever work with Zigbee, as Zigbee is a completly different protocol so it totally unrelated here or ZHA and for Zigbee2MQTT, see → Zigbee - Wikipedia You really need to post that off-topic question elsewhere, not here.

@Hedda is correct. Tuya WiFi devices are a completely different animal and will not work with z2m at all.

That said, you may be able to use the core Tuya integration (100% web dependent), or if lucky the HACS Local Tuya integration(web needed for setup only). I think there are a couple of forks of LocalTuya now, and haven’t kept up with which is best. I no longer have any Tuya Wifi devices.

When I did have a few Tuya WiFi plugs, the LocalTuya in HACS never gave me any problems.

FYI, the popular Zigbee Gateway host application software Zigbee2MQTT to soon require EmberZNet 7.4.0.0 firmware or later if using a Silicon Labs based Zigbee Coordinator adapter. They have at least marked their old ezsp adapter code in their zigbee-herdsman library as deprecated with a reference that Z2M users should migrate to their new ember adapter code instead, and that new ember adapter requires EmberZNet 7.4.x.x Zigbee NCP firmware at a minimum (as it is not backwards compatible):

Deprecated driver ‘ezsp’ currently in use, ‘ember’ will become the officially supported EmberZNet +driver in next release. If using Zigbee2MQTT see Improved Ember (EZSP) driver (experimental) · Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt · Discussion #21462 · GitHub

Anyway, “deprecated” in this case only means that the code for their old ezsp adapter will no longer maintained by Zigbee2MQTT developers and that Z2M users will from now on have an yet undefined grace period to migrate to the new ember adapter.

Zigbee2MQTT’s developers on purpose choose to do a clean rewrite their new ember adapter code as “greenfield project” with focus on only supporting EZSP v13 (EmberZNet Serial Protocol version 13 which is only available in EmberZNet 7.4.0.0 firmware and later) to avoid constraints and limitations imposed by old code or old firmware.

Having personally migrated 100% of my Zigbee devices to Home Assistant’s own built-in native ZHA integration I am today not sure how well backup and restore is working these days if using their old ezsp adapter in Zigbee2MQTT but at least until recently there was no ability to restore from backup in Z2M if using that ezsp adapter in Zigbee2MQTT, see → Koenkk/zigbee-herdsman#319 and the unofficial workaround to backup and restore before if using ezsp adapter in Zigbee2MQTT was to backup and restore using zigpy-cli, see Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt#16478 but I believe the new ember adapter in Zigbee2MQTT has full native support for backup and restore but I am not sure about native migrations from ezsp adapter to ember adapter inside Zigbee2MQTT.

Note! Regardless of above, be aware that Silicon Labs adapters are currently still “experimental” in Z2M → Supported Adapters | Zigbee2MQTT however their plan is that this will change in the future with their new ember adapter code becomes more stable. Though for now only Texas Instruments CC2652 and CC1352 based adapters are officialy recommended for Zigbee2MQTT as of yet. So you might instead want to consider buying and migrating to ITead’s “Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus” (model “ZBDongle-P”) based on Texas Instruments CC2652P

PS: Not sure if ITead’s personel reads issues on their GitHub repository but posted feature request here:

They have never released a single firmware update for the ZBDongle-E, dont see why they would start now. They seem happy for their users to rely on community built firmwares!

1 Like

I’m looking to update the firmware on my EFR32MG21 Sonoff dongle. Do you know if the original EFR32MG21 dongle (i.e. Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle, model 9888010100045) can be updated to the new EmberZNet 7.4.x.x firmware. Or is it only compatible with the ZBDongle-E model?

EDIT: I did manage to upgrade the firmware successfully. I used Darkxst’s firmware for the DongleE and flashed it using the manual process - for some reason Darkxst’s web flasher didn’t pick up my device (maybe because the CH340 uart, while the ZB-DongleE is different, or maybe for some other reason). Either way my Z2M is all working nicely on Ember now.

1 Like

What are the differences between the official Sonoff firmware and Darkxst’s firmware?
Thanks

1 Like

In practice they only differ in the version of the Silicon Labs EmberZNet SDK that the firmware image been build from.

There might also be some small configuration difference but both are built from the official SDK from Silicon Labs.

Sonoff has just not made any update images since initial release, however if they did it would basically be the same.

I’m currently running zigbee2mqtt version 1. 37.1-1 with the

ITEAD_SONOFF_Zigbee_3.0_USB_Dongle_Plus_V2_20221029145113-if00

adapter: ezsp

My logs have regular

warning: 	zh:ezsp: Deprecated driver 'ezsp' currently in use, 'ember' 
will become the officially supported EmberZNet driver in next release. 
If using Zigbee2MQTT see https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt/discussions/21462

as well as errors such as

error: 	zh:ezsp:ezsp: Frame changeSourceRouteHandler parsing error: RangeError: Attempt to access memory outside buffer bounds
    at new NodeError (node:internal/errors:405:5)
    at boundsError (node:internal/buffer:86:11)
    at Buffer.readUInt16LE (node:internal/buffer:245:5)
    at Buffer.readUIntLE (node:internal/buffer:182:17)
    at Function.deserialize (/app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/src/adapter/ezsp/driver/types/basic.ts:19:67)
    at new EZSPFrameData (/app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/src/adapter/ezsp/driver/ezsp.ts:180:54)
    at /app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/src/adapter/ezsp/driver/ezsp.ts:154:23
    at Array.every (<anonymous>)
    at Function.createFrame (/app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/src/adapter/ezsp/driver/ezsp.ts:148:15)
    at Ezsp.onFrameReceived (/app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/src/adapter/ezsp/driver/ezsp.ts:439:35)

I’ve read through the discussion #21462 and am really none the wiser, apart from acknowledging that the ezsp adapter will no longer be supported. Do I need to change the adapter firmware to the Ember version and if so does anyone have a step by step guide they could point me towards?

Thanks.

This thread is specifically only about hardware and firmware, for Zigbee2MQTT configuration discussion/questions or issues and other application related things you need to post to their project and own community on GitHub:

https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt/discussions

https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt/issues

https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt

Here you click on raw to download the firmware

Then you open this page with chrome or edge

and flash the downloaded firmware.

1 Like

If that comment is in reply to my post, it is actually a firmware question.

If not, sorry if I missread it.

That first part of that question does not really belong here, which versions that is required and recommend really belongs in the Z2M community. As for updating the firmware there are links above and in the original post, including links to step by step guides.

1 Like

Sorry, but if I had simply asked

I’d have probably got an “it depends” type answer. So I was just trying to add context and additional information to inform the reader prior to eliciting a response.

Yes it depends.

FYI, Zigbee2MQTT lists EmberZNet with firmware 7.4.x as supported (using their new adapter: ember), and they also updated that page to list adapter: ezsp as deprecated (i.e. not recommended):

Recommend read and ask any specific questions in Zigbee2MQTT’s own community discussions/forum on GitHub (or post issues there) instead of posting about it here in Home Assistant’s community forum:

Anyway, as I understand, in summery:

You need to have upgraded to at least EmberZNet 7.4.x firmware version or later to use the new ”ember” driver/adapter in Zigbee2MQTT, but from what I read it is suggested that existing Zigbee2MQTT users first upgrade to EmberZNet 7.3.x firmware version while still using the old ”ezsp” driver/adapter as it sounds like a migration to the new ”ember” driver will go smoother if already have had the old ”ezsp” driver/adapter working EmberZNet 7.3.x firmware version while still using the old ”ezsp” driver/adapter in Zigbee2MQTT. If you do that first before upgrading to EmberZNet 7.4.x.x firmware then you should not need to re-pair any devices.

Hence the multi-step process you need to follow do depends on your specific setup and you need to ask in the Zigbee2MQTT community if you need step-by-step that applies to your setup. The process for actually updating firmware version will not be different.

Suggest start by reading and try following this article regarding migrating Zigbee2MQTT from the ezsp adapter to the new ember adapter:

Summery; ezsp adapter is now deprecated in Zigbee2MQTT’s zigbee-herdsman library, which means that the Zigbee2MQTT developers are by doing so strongly recommending users to upgrade and migrate to ember adapter, and that migration might require a multi-step process depending on what EmberZNet firmware version you are using today. Users that continues to use the ezsp adapter will for now simply get a warning in their logs that they are using a deprecated adapter, however it will not stop working.

Note! If you have a EFR32MG12/MGM12 series or EM35x/EM35xx or ETRX35x based adapter then you need to buy a newer adapter. You need at least EFR32MG13/MGM13 series to be able to upgrade to EmberZNet 7.4.x.x firmware. So you preferably want to migrate to newer Silicon Labs based Zigbee Coordinator then you should consider getting an EFR32MG2x based USB radio dongle (EFR32MG21 or EFR32MG24 today, or EFR32MG26 in the future), at least if you plan on continuing to use Silicon Labs based Zigbee adapters, though technically you can even upgrade EFR32MG13 with EmberZNet 7.4.x.x firmware (but probably not to EmberZNet 7.5.x.x firmware when that comes).

For reference see:

PS: Note that “Deprecated” does not mean that the ezsp adapter will be removed yet, instead it means you are discouraged from using it as it is being phased out and replaced by the newer ember adapter (which is not compatible with older firmware or all hardware).

Brilliant, thank you :+1:

FYI, ITead released official Zigbee NCP EmberZNet 7.3.3.0 + 7.4.3.0 firmware for Sonoff ZBDongle-E:

Note that you can report firmware specific issues for Sonoff ZBDongle-E direcly to ITead on GitHub:

Better late than never! :smiley: