Journal issues with supervised install after updating to 2022.11

This is definitely new as I’ve been watching system-health quite a lot. For me, I started getting a systemd_journal with beta 7, beta 6 did not have this unhealthy situation. It may have started at a previous beta, but it certainly did not exist prior to any betas.

2 Likes

They was around since month, you just did not saw it anymore as this information got removed from UI at one point and now its back :slight_smile:

:+1:

I fixed it pretty quickly by re-installing systemd-journal-remote & rerunning the .deb script. Running an addblocker though, so it took longer than I expected because it killed my dns server and I had to temporarily use another one for the script to succeed.

2 Likes

True that one is really new. Most don’t see that one yet as it comes from this pr which has currently only in the beta release of supervisor.

But I guess my point was that none of the unhealthy/unsupported reasons were added by core. Supervisor still manages that. The only new thing here is that core asks supervisor if it is unhealthy/unsupported and shows a repair per reason.

Thanks for this new fine release! :thanks:

After updating I noticed a Supervisor update. That prompted an error and Repair entry saying…

Unsupported system - Systemd Journal issues

System is unsupported because Systemd Journal and/or the gateway service is missing, inactive or misconfigured . Use the link to learn more and how to fix this.

I’m running a Supervised Debian install (I’m not a Linux pro) for 2 years, rock solid, but following the link in the message, doesn’t help me. The commands aren’t recognized.

What should I do to fix this?

1 Like

The commands work, you only need to install the last one anyways. But running all the commands will fix that issue.

apt-get install systemd-journal-remote -y
wget https://github.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer/releases/latest/download/homeassistant-supervised.deb
dpkg -i homeassistant-supervised.deb
4 Likes

I have exactly the same issue.

I followed the docs - re-run the supervised installer on the host to set up this service and reboot.

This did not help to resolve the issue.

Supervisor log says:

WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluations.base] Systemd journal is not working correctly or inaccessible

Host log can’t be loaded because of this issue:

No systemd-journal-gatewayd Unix socket available

Never had such problem before this release. HA, supervisor, OS-agent and Debian al are updated to todays latest versions.

I’m running out of idea’s…

Maybe I installed systemd-journal-gatewayd and then ran the script, either way, install then turn the service on. I used the script to turn the service on in case there were extra options I didn’t know about.

Then of course, I rebooted

root@ShuttleDomotica:~# apt-get install systemd-journal-remote -y
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
systemd-journal-remote is already the newest version (247.3-7+deb11u1).
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libbotan-2-17 libtspi1 linux-image-5.10.0-17-amd64
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
root@ShuttleDomotica:~#

The second two commands did work fine.

After restart, the issue is not solved, I get one more issue with network manager.
The reinstall of HA supervised removes the connectivity check. I know how to solve that.

So I repaired that, restart the host. Still unsupported because the systemd journal.

Knocking my head against the table. Again a issue, that never has been there and is introduced by an HA update… …there goes my lazy evening :slight_smile:

Have the same issue, tried reinstalling and rebooting many times, but the error remains.

1 Like

I have the same problem *System is unsupported because Systemd Journal and/or the gateway service is missing, inactive or misconfigured * I’m using Debian 11 supervised install
I did

sudo apt install systemd-journal-remote

when I run

sudo systemctl status systemd-journal-gatewayd.service

I get this

● systemd-journal-gatewayd.service - Journal Gateway Service
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-journal-gatewayd.service; indirect; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Thu 2022-11-03 19:16:50 CET; 8min ago
TriggeredBy: ● systemd-journal-gatewayd.socket
       Docs: man:systemd-journal-gatewayd(8)
   Main PID: 18663 (systemd-journal)
      Tasks: 2 (limit: 9334)
     Memory: 3.9M
     CGroup: /system.slice/systemd-journal-gatewayd.service
             └─18663 /lib/systemd/systemd-journal-gatewayd

Nov 03 19:16:50 homeassistant systemd[1]: Started Journal Gateway Service

but error in home doesnt go away. In supervisor I have this

22-11-03 19:20:54 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.host.logs] No systemd-journal-gatewayd Unix socket available
2 Likes

From the instructions in the link:

If using Home Assistant Supervised, re-run the supervised installer on the host to set up this service and reboot.

I mean you’re welcome to add the service manually like you did but you can’t skip the reboot step.

I just done step 4. a reinstall homeassistant-supervised.deb. Got a hassio error in logs.
Going for reboot.

Re installing docker did the trick for me :slight_smile:

I did this, see my message above. It does not help and even breaks the network manager as a side effect.

1 Like

I installed debian-supervised and rebooted. Message went away but I still see lot of errors in my logs.
Should I reinstall docker?

Oh. Supervised installer has installing the gateway as a pre-req step. Ok going to update the doc then. Do what Daniel showed above instead:

When I rebooted I got this

● systemd-journal-gatewayd.service - Journal Gateway Service
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/systemd-journal-gatewayd.service; indirect; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)
TriggeredBy: ● systemd-journal-gatewayd.socket
       Docs: man:systemd-journal-gatewayd(8)

2 Likes

Ok, didn’t know about. I was re-running the installer script, and - as it (now obviously!) didn’t help, I installed the systemd gateway service. Shoud I re-run again the installer script? Meanwhile my server hates me…

Thanks! Following these steps resolved the issue for me! :smiley:
I’m on Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) and supervisor-2022.10.2

1 Like