Just Upgraded to NodeRED Add-on v14.5.0, all sorts of errors I've never seen before in the add-on log and debug log

I hit this, but restore back to previous version was easy and painless. Assuming you tick the option to backup before updating an addon (I hope you do), go to settings/system/backups and find the node red backup that the install made, and restore it.

2 Likes

youre just using semantics at this point. its a change that broke it, albeit not intentional is not an answer. nore is to just say oh it is how it is because its always been that way. It will never be taken seriously if it continues like this. The point of beta is to have the major elements tested before a ga. considering that the recent moves away from editing config to code-off-cofig of devices shows that the path is aiming at more people that are not line level code developers. then suggesting that people should edit javascript is, again, not an answer. It should be addressed in a hot fix with priority, not laxly in a week.

same for me as well

You used a term, that’s well-known in software development, incorrectly. Instead of simply admitting to the misapplication, you’ve chosen to dismiss your misinterpretation as “semantics”.

I suggest you contact the WebSocket node’s author and volunteer to be a beta tester.

2 Likes

A temporary workaround: Disable the error messages
Works* for:

• People who need to debug something while waiting for a perm fix
    AND
  • People who’s functionality isn’t affected by the error messages

*ymmv depending on setup

Methodology: Change settings to suppress the error message

Step 1:
In your file editor, (VSCode or File Editor addon) go to node-red/settings.js

Step 2:
Add this custom logger ABOVE where it says module.exports:

function customLogger(originalLogger) {
  return {
      log: function(msg) {
          if (msg.level !== 30) {
              originalLogger.log(msg);
          }
      }
  };
}

Step 3:
Point the logger to it. Find the object called logging and add customLogger to it like so:

logging: {
    // Only console logging is currently supported
    console: customLogger({
      // level: "fatal",
      // Whether or not to include metric events in the log output
      metrics: false,
      // Whether or not to include audit events in the log output
      audit: false,
    }),
  },

Step 4:
Restart Node-RED

Step 5:
Breathe a little easier, but note that some error messages are invisible until you revert the changes after a permanent fix has been implemented.

EDIT: Looks like there’s a fix already so try that first

What fix, where?

Haven’t tried it myself, so can’t speak to whether it works for me yet

Let’s hope it’s in the addon update also quickly

2 Likes

Still no progress in the addon update :frowning:

3 Likes

I’m pretty shocked that this hasn’t been fixed yet. In addition to rendering the debug window completely useless, the constant logging really causes some performance issues if you have created some resource intensive flows.

I am running in Supervisor in a VM on a fairly powerful machine, and it is really impacting performance. All of the searching I have done, I cannot find the file to try fix.

1 Like

Also quite frustrated as some of the new features in the next version of NodeRED are highly desired. My only solution was to revert to the previous version.

1 Like

FYIW, I had the same issue running NodeRed as an Addon on the HA native OS, and the fix by adding the command “sed -i “772,775d” /opt/node_modules/@node-red/util/lib/util.js” in the init_command section of the Addon worked perfectly.

1. Go to the Settings → Add-Ons
  2. Click on Node-RED
  3. At the top, click on Configuration
  4. In the section for init_commands (little text input box), type in the command: sed -i “772,775d” /opt/node_modules/@node-red/util/lib/util.js
  5. Click SAVE in that section
  6. Restart the Node Red Addon. Messages should be gone.
1 Like

For me, it “failed to execute the command”.
I reverted back to a snapshot I just made, because I couldn’t remove the command from the config page. (Maybe when I would edit in Yaml mode, but that I didn’t tried).

I could be mistaken, but the developer is on a well-earned vacation? Possibly for a month. Should be back soon.

Thanks for that info. I (and I’m sure others) just thought that this was being overlooked. I get the need for the developer to have a vacation.

Doesn’t work here. The Add-on will not start.

1 Like

Does anyone know if we can install an earlier version of the add-on? I would revert to a system snapshot but this has been an ongoing issue for a few weeks.

Updated today from ha 2023.8.4 to 2023.9.3 and was already on version 14.5.0 with 2023.8 and the problem did not occure on 2023.8 but when i updated this morning to 2023.9 my disk with a free space of 15GB was within an hour full because of this problem.
I manually commented out the lines 772-775 and problem is for now gone.

Yeah, my NR won’t start with that command either.

Reverted back and getting the errors below, same as earlier. I’m on v14.5.0 of the add-on now.

NR Errors within

9/29/2023, 9:46:19 AM
msg : string[270]
“Deprecated API warning: Calls to RED.util.evaluateJSONataExpression must include a callback. This will not be optional in Node-RED 4.0. Please identify the node from the following stack and check for an update on npm. If none is available, please notify the node author.”
9/29/2023, 9:46:20 AM
msg : string[1626]
“Error: ↵ at Object.evaluateJSONataExpression (/opt/node_modules/@node-red/util/lib/util.js:775:18)↵ at JSONataService.evaluate (/opt/node_modules/node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket/dist/common/services/JSONataService.js:58:39)↵ at TypedInputService.getValue (/opt/node_modules/node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket/dist/common/services/TypedInputService.js:58:85)↵ at EventsAll.getTypedInputValue (/opt/node_modules/node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket/dist/nodes/BaseNode.js:134:39)↵ at /opt/node_modules/node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket/dist/nodes/BaseNode.js:138:32↵ at Array.forEach ()↵ at EventsAll.setCustomOutputs (/opt/node_modules/node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket/dist/nodes/BaseNode.js:137:20)↵ at EventsAll.onHaEventsAll (/opt/node_modules/node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket/dist/nodes/events-all/controller.js:57:18)↵ at EventEmitter. (/opt/node_modules/node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket/di…”

@DeltaNu1142 @stevemann

This is probably giving an error due to the

“ ”

in the OrangeMeeples post.

Try this:

sed -i "772,775d" /opt/node_modules/@node-red/util/lib/util.js
5 Likes