KNX Cookbook (legacy)

No, I’m on 0.109.5 stable, rather not using beta’s as there are enough problems with stable releases :slight_smile:

Just wanted to say thanks for this Cookbook and discussion on KNX/HA integration. I got my SE Wiser router connected a bit over a week ago and I’ve been getting everything setup. Really happy with the integregration and gives me lots of flexibility to expand the house features in the future as well.

I’ve got the lights and the covers sorted. The climate/thermostats I’ve got them functional, just have one address I’m not 100% on how it’s configured. I need to ask the integrator how he setup that one address but it doesn’t seem to affect the functionality. Once I get to setting up the cooling mode I’ll need to dig a bit deeper into that area.

Cheers,
Tony

1 Like

Hey!
Just wanted to point to a new feature that wasn’t really mentioned in the release notes:
You can now easily pipe not only states, but also attributes to knx by exposing entity attributes. This way you can eg. visualize your Hue lamps brightness in knx without an automation.

knx:
  expose:
    - type: 'percentU8'
      entity_id: 'light.any_platform.office'
      attribute: 'brightness'
      default: 0
      address: '1/2/3'

Just keep in mind that attributes may not always be set. Eg. a turned off light has no brightness attribute so you need to set a default.

Please note that exposed values (knx: expose:) do answer to GroupValueRead requests. This could potentionally cause problems when other knx devices also have their Read-Flag set on this GA.

Very good point, Matthias!

And the new feature of exposing HA attributes is very useful! When did you implement that?

I have updated the OP accordingly. Thanks!

Just recently with 0.110.0

I just noticed that you could not get a routing connection to work. What OS / installation method are you using? Is there an error in the logs?
I have made some changes to routing stuff too. It’s not yet released, but I’d be happy If you (or anyone) would like to test this. https://github.com/XKNX/xknx/pull/295

I use a very basic hass.io on a Raspi 3b.
Will retry a multicast connection and check the logs soon. I will also try to run you PR but this will probably take some days.

I think custom components don’t run on Hassio, but I could be totally wrong here.

I would be interested in the logs though.

Custom components can be used on hass.io. It is a full HA coming with its own underlying OS. I will report soon.

Is there a config to enable extended debug logging for your component?

In HA (Top Level configuration.yaml):

logger:
  default: info
  logs:
    xknx: debug

To enable full debug log.
For finer granularity xknx provides xknx.log, xknx.knx and xknx.telegram (and coming in the next version: xknx.raw_socket) loggers.

1 Like

are you on 0.110 beta? There have been bugfixes for climate recently but I’m not sure what they really do as I don’t use climate modes at all.

I’m on latest 111.4 now and still no luck. The issue is exactly as it was. I can of course control the AC with some customized switches / automations and read status with KNX sensors but this is not as nice as the thermostat/climate devices. Anyway actually for a dashboard operation it might be still ok as I need to create those various sensors/switches and relevant automations anyway.

Hi guys,

running on 0.111.4. HA loses connection to KNX about every other day. Restart HA solves it but it’s annoying. Any hint how to troubleshoot? For what to look in tge logs?

Regards
Ralf

I’d look for Errors from the Knx integration. If there is nothing you can enable debug logging - see some posts above.
Are these disconnects happening when you program devices or do anything special on the bus or LAN? Tunneling or routing (maybe show post configuration)?

Nothing out of the ordinary for now. Some messages to and from the bus. Just every approx 8 sec these 3 lines …

2020-06-27 16:30:59 DEBUG (MainThread) [xknx.knx] Sending: <KNXIPFrame <KNXIPHeader HeaderLength="6" ProtocolVersion="16" KNXIPServiceType="KNXIPServiceType.CONNECTIONSTATE_REQUEST" Reserve="0" TotalLength="16" />
2020-06-27 16:30:59 DEBUG (MainThread) [xknx.knx] Received: <KNXIPFrame <KNXIPHeader HeaderLength="6" ProtocolVersion="16" KNXIPServiceType="KNXIPServiceType.CONNECTIONSTATE_RESPONSE" Reserve="0" TotalLength="8" />
2020-06-27 16:30:59 DEBUG (MainThread) [xknx.log] Success: received correct answer from KNX bus: ErrorCode.E_NO_ERROR

I can provide longer logs. For now it still works. I will look into the logs again after it stopped working again.

This is the tunnels heartbeat message - it is sent every 15 seconds to keep the connection alive.
You’ll have to wait until it crashes again and then look for errors.

Hi Matthias,

happened again yesterday evening. I have full log. Stripped it down to the relevant minutes. 2 MB. The heartbeat is coming like multiple times per second. Any preferred way to get access to the log file for analysis?

Regards
Ralf

I have no idea what is going on there. Seems like you have multiple instances of xknx (or xknx.io.tunnel) running at the same time - battling for a ConnectionStateResponse.
But I don’t know how this would even be possible. Very strange.

Matthias, thanks for taking the time to look into the logs. This is my yaml. Anything suspect there?

---
knx:
  tunneling:
    host: '10.0.10.7'
    port: 3671
    local_ip: '10.0.10.8'
  expose:
    - type: 'time'
      address: '0/6/6'
      entity_id: 'sensor.time'
    - type: 'binary'
      address: '1/1/8'
      entity_id: 'light.esstisch'
      address: '2/1/1'
      entity_id: 'light.flur_og'
      address: '10/0/7'
      entity_id: 'light.bad_spiegel'
      address: '2/1/14'
      entity_id: 'switch.dachboden_relay'
    - type: 'percentU8'
      entity_id: cover.arbeiten
      attribute: position
      address: '1/3/8'
  fire_event: true
  fire_event_filter:
    - "1/3/1-6"     # Rolladen Ergeschoss Lang/Kurz Objekte
    - "2/3/1-4"     # Rolladen Obergeschoss Lang/Kurz Objekte
    - "1/3/7-12"    # Rolladen Ergeschoss Status Objekte
    - "2/3/9-12"    # Rolladen Obergeschoss Status Objekte
    - "0/1/11"      # Zentral aus Eltern Tuere
    - "0/6/9"       # Zentral aus Eltern Bett
    - "0/1/9"       # Zentral aus Bad Tuere

Looks right. Maybe try to disable your Knx AppDaemon stuff and see if the problems persist.

Is it safe to assume this message should come approx every 15s? I turned off the appdaemon totally.

Have a log grep on above message and will see whats in the log when the frequency of this log line is happening more often than one per 15s.