KNX Dimmer support

Thank you for the fast answer.
I think I figured out the problem is not HA but KNX related.
I don’t have a brightness_state_address configured, any tips on how to configure ETS are welcome. I will also try to figure out a solution myself :slight_smile:.

unfortunately I dont have access to my installation right now, so I cant check my settings…

maybe try activating “send dimming value after change”.

Chapter 4.6.2 of the MDT manual. https://www.mdt.de/download/MDT_TM_Dimming_Actuator.pdf

Edit: Manual actually says about this setting: activates the status object for the
dimming process

I was able to activate the state dim value and HA is sending values to the groupadresses. Dark grey is my HA.
image The light (Dim actuator) only doesn’t pick up these values and won’t change the appearance. It definitely is a KNX-ETS issue. In some way I can’t find the right combination for address,brightness_address,brightness_state_address,state_address.
My former KNX-programmer programmed everything to dim relatively, but for HA it has to be absolutely.

Maybe with some ETS - HA examples I can figure it out.

I have in my HA config:

• platform: knx
    name: Schlafzimmer
    address: ‘1/0/5’
    state_address: ‘1/1/5’
    brightness_address: ‘1/3/5’
    brightness_state_address: ‘1/4/5’

The 1/3/5 is the “dimmen absolut”.
<GroupAddress Name=“Licht Decke Schlafzimmer OG 68 dimmen absolut” Address=“1/3/5” DPTs=“DPST-5-1” />
Working as expected.

Screenshot from the ETS I can maybe provide during/after the weekend. I have the same MDT actor.

1 Like

Thanks for your effort moe.
I think I was able to find the right addresses, with the information you gave me.
However the KNX bus still doesn’t pick up the single.
I made a little movie of the problem, when you have time will you be so kind to compare the settings since you have the same actor? https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cqeI370z1k

Problem solved, found the right configuration for my installation! Thanks community :slight_smile:

• platform: knx
    name: Living Rechts
    address: ‘1/1/10’
    brightness_address: ‘1/5/10’
    brightness_state_address: ‘1/3/10’
    state_address: ‘1/4/10’

Good to hear! :slight_smile:

Hello, I’m here for the first time.
Maybe someone could help me too with my problem?
(I know, this thread is kinda old, but right topic for me)

I own two KNX Dimmer Lingg&Janke 4fach 570W universal.
I’m unable to set dimming level or read status by HA. (KNX hardware button working well. Short On/Off, long Dimming Up/Down).

My HA KNX configuration depends on this ETS configuration:

I’ve adapted this config in HA:

[Second Printscreen in separate post]

Can anybody telling me, what i’m doing wrong?

kind regards,
sam

HA KNX configuration:

brightness_address expects a DPT5 (1byte percent) address - 2/3/5 in your case.

To read the states the Read-Flag has to be set on your output-status addresses (the ones you configured to *_state_address). Otherwise the entity will remain in undefined state until the first telegram is received.

2 Likes

Hello Matthias
Thank you, I appreciate it. I will try to set the flag this evening and give you a feedback.
kind regards,
Sam

Hello Matthias
I would like to give you (and maybe some interested peoples in this community) my feedback.

As you advised, I set the read flag for all outputs (2 Outputs for 4 Channels on both actors).

Then, regarding ETS, which input is accepting a DPT5, I changed my HA knx.yaml.

Dimmlicht-EG-Kochen-Insel (DIMM)

- name: Dimmlicht-EG-Kochen-Insel
  address: '2/1/5'
  state_address: '2/2/5'
  brightness_address: '2/3/5'
  brightness_state_address: '2/5/5'

Now, my dimm switches in HA working perfect. Thank you

1 Like

Hi all,

I know this is an old post but I’m in the same situation but I’m a bit confused.

I can achieve the following:

Turn Lights On/Off
Receive Feedback of Light On/Off
Receive Feedback of Brightness percentage

But I cannot control the brightness, it does not affect the light until I take it to zero which just turns it off. I’m racking my brain a bit.

Anyone have any advice? My ETS Dimmer and details in screenshot below. Am using Theben DM 4-2T Actuator.

My KNX Config in HA is:

# KNX Control
knx:
  light:
    - name: "Big Light"
      address: "0/0/3"
      state_address: "0/0/4"
      brightness_address: "0/1/0"
      brightness_state_address: "0/1/1"

You did connect 3 group objects of the same channel with the same GA - the setter and the status and the limit. That’s not going to work.
Other than that same answer as above applies: use %-dimming (DPT 5), not relative (DPT 3 or “brighter/darker”).

That definitely works in HA! But since I no longer use “relative dim” my switch cannot dim the lights nor receive any dimming feedback?

I use a Simon Sense Keypad

Do I need to set up two different group address? One for percentage and one for relative?

Yes of course. Those are 2 different DTPs.

1 Like

Man, I feel so dumb.

Thank you so much. Its all good and working now. I need a better system where I organize my group addresses to accommodate the relative dimming control & percentage.

You’ve made it so I can sleep in peace haha.

1 Like