KNXD add-on: convert your KNX-USB interface into an IP interface that can be used by HA

sure, but the base image to use is not hardcoded in the Docker file, so I assume it uses whatever the Docker supervisor is suggesting. And by default it should use the Alpine based images, at least according to the documentation. The Alpine based images are the preferred ones since they have way less overhead.

For anybody with the “deb” branch issue - would you guys please give these changes a try? I’m enforcing the Alpine based base-image now, which has less overhead than the debian one and is better suited for IOT devices like a RPI: https://github.com/da-anda/hass-io-addons/pull/8
The changes are still untested atm since I’m waiting for the compilation to finish. If I find any bugs in the changes I will ofc update the PR

ok, I think me and a friend found the issue. The stable branch is broken and missing a change they already did in master to fix a bug they introduced when they moved the debian stuff into it’s own branch. Waiting for a reply to my bugreport on the knxd repo. Switching the branch of this add-on to deb seems to be the wrong way to fix the current compile issues though.
In doubt I’ll start using a fixed version number in the add-on and we bump it from time to time.

for now I “fixed” the issue by pointing the add-on to a specific version number of knxd and not just the stable branch, since this branch currently does not build correctly. Even master does not build on Alpine atm. Already filed an issue over at the knxd repo and wait for feedback.

Due to this change, reinstalling the add-on no longer will fetch the latest version of knxd from the repo and compile that, but will always build the version (GIT branch or tag) specified in build.json. So if anybody would like to test a different branch or version, just change the KNXD_VERSION argument in this file and re-install.

1 Like

FYI - I just added a new version, bumping knxd to 0.14.39 which should fix some delay issues when you use a pace filter. I also added a documentation to the best of my knowledge.

hii,
iam new to the industry, i would like to know , Is there any custom_component available for installing in HOMEASSISTANT CORE that do KNX TP to KNX IP Conversion . Iam running Homeassistant on a linux system on module without docker and iam planning to integrate a KNX transciever in the board. As of my current knowledge I think Homeassisant requires a KNX IP interface to communicate with KNX Twisted Pair. iam a beginner in to the Tech field .Any Helps are Appreciated
Thank you

if you are running HA Core on an classic Linux install, simply install the knxd deamon and configure it accordingly to work with whatever transciever your are going to use.
Please see https://github.com/knxd/knxd for more details about knxd and how to configure it.

There is no custom_component that could do what you want. And yes, HA requires a KNX IP interface.

i will check that , and iam running my homeassistant on a linux debian System on module

iam running it on debian(HA Core without docker)
i tried to install the knxd as per the manual installation procedures

but during the make command iam getting " No Targets Specifies and no Makefile found "

i already used the enable uart in ./configure --enable-tpuart and iam getting an error at last on this command
./configure: line 14127: syntax error near unexpected token `SYSTEMD,'

./configure: line 14127: ` PKG_CHECK_MODULES(SYSTEMD, libsystemd-daemon)'

Is there any more configurations to be set up before doing make ?.

are you using the correct branch for debian? There at least used to be a special branch for it. Other than that, no idea, haven’t looked at their build instructions ever since I got the add-on working a couple years back.

yeah
i used git checkout debian

Hello, i’m a french user. Then excuse me if I express myself badly.
When I try to install the addon, it is impossible. I have this error:

The command ‘/bin/ash -o pipefail -c set -xe && apk update && apk add --no-cache --virtual .build-dependencies build-base gcc git abuild binutils automake autoconf libtool argp-standalone linux-headers libev-dev libusb-dev cmake dev86 && apk add --no-cache udev libusb libev && git clone --branch “${KNXD_VERSION}” --depth 1 GitHub - knxd/knxd && cd knxd && ./bootstrap.sh && ./configure --disable-systemd --enable-tpuart --enable-usb --enable-eibnetipserver --enable-eibnetip --enable-eibnetserver --enable-eibnetiptunnel && mkdir -p src/include/sys && ln -s /usr/lib/bcc/include/sys/cdefs.h src/include/sys && make && make install && make clean && cd … && rm -rf knxd && apk del --purge .build-dependencies’ returned a non-zero code: 128

Do you know what that means?
I’m on synology

Thanks a lot

sorry, no idea. I suppose your Synology is x86 based? Never tried to compile this add-on for x86, only assumed it would also work. IIRC there are some other docker containers for knxd out there, maybe one of those is working for you. This add-on is not really HomeAssistant specific, all it does it provide and pre-configure knxd to work with your interface. So any knxd docker container will work just as well.

hello sir,
I am running my homeassistant core instance on the beaglebone black (debian) without docker.
I installed the knxd for debian in my module.
Now , I want to integrate a NCN5130 TPUART interface to the serial port in my module.
After my reading of some documents relating to the configuration I edited the /etc/knxd.conf file with the serial port name of my module i.e , /dev/ttyO1
But knxd is not working when I ran the command sudo systemctl status knxd.service.
So I would like to know the correct configuration options for integrating above with the beaglebone and homeassistant core .
Any helps appreciated . new to this field

sorry, all I can do is to refer you to the official documentation of the configuration, which I have linked a couple times above already. I am by no means any expert regarding knxd and am lucky to have gotten it working at all. It took me days to get this add-on working and haven’t touched it ever since (apart from updating to newer versions of knxd and slightly improving the docker container as I learned a bit more on this over the years - still a noob though).

edit: if you understand German, check out knx-user-forum.de - the author of kndx is there and provides some support, as well as other community members ofc.

Hello,

Since I updated my homeassistant to core-2021.2.1, i cannot start/reinstall the KNXD addon :frowning: I tried to uninstall and reinstall the addon but unfortunately it don’t work :frowning:

please try again with latest version

Hello everyone,

I just updated home assistant to the latest version and now your KNXD add-on stopped working.
I receive the following piece of information in the log:
‘libusb: error [get_usbfs_fd] libusb couldn’t open USB device /dev/bus/usb/002/003, errno=1’

My config looks exactly as the one palhaland posted. With this config it worked flawlessly. I’ve got a Lingg & Jahnke actor with USB interface.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Same issue here after upgrading to latest 2021.2.2 core and KNXD 0.3.7:

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: executing... 
-----------------------------------------------------------
 Add-on: KNXD daemon
 KNXD daemon you can use to create a KNX/IP gateway via TPUART or USB bus adapters
 Add-on version: 0.3.7
 You are running the latest version of this add-on.
 System: Home Assistant OS 5.11  (aarch64 / raspberrypi4-64)
 Home Assistant Core: 2021.2.2
 Home Assistant Supervisor: 2021.02.6
 Please, share the above information when looking for help
 or support in, e.g., GitHub, forums or the Discord chat.
[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 2-init-config: executing... 
[cont-init.d] 2-init-config: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
libusb: error [get_usbfs_fd] libusb couldn't open USB device /dev/bus/usb/001/004, errno=1

Before upgrade everything worked fine.

Had the device in settings as blank to auto-detect it. After upgrade and the error, tried to define it explicitly in the config (/dev/ttyAMA0), but then different error comes on starting of the addon:

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: executing... 
 Add-on: KNXD daemon
 KNXD daemon you can use to create a KNX/IP gateway via TPUART or USB bus adapters
 Add-on version: 0.3.7
 You are running the latest version of this add-on.
 System: Home Assistant OS 5.11  (aarch64 / raspberrypi4-64)
 Home Assistant Core: 2021.2.2
 Home Assistant Supervisor: 2021.02.6
 Please, share the above information when looking for help
 or support in, e.g., GitHub, forums or the Discord chat.
[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 2-init-config: executing... 
[cont-init.d] 2-init-config: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::invalid_argument'
  what():  stoi

I would also appreciate any help or hints what to try next. Thanks…

this most certainly is not the correct device. When I checked it via SSH it belonged to the audio user group of linux, so probably some audio device of the RPI4. Please check in the supervisor “hardware info” section what the correct device path for your HW is.

since not really much changed in the add-on, despite making it’s config syntax compatible with the latest supervisor changes I suspect the issue might be on supervisor side. They changed a lot in regards to how devices are passed into add-ons now, and it appears as if this is causing some issues. They just released supervisor 2021.02.07 which hopefully fixes it. If not, then I’m out of options. I do not have a KNX USB interface and thus can neither reproduce nor debug this issue and it’s root cause. So somebody with such a device would have to step in.
After I got the first bug reports on Github I did a small modification to the config.json of the add-on which I uploaded to the test branch ( https://github.com/da-anda/hass-io-addons/tree/test ) since a dev over at the HA discord channels mentioned that the add-on now might need udev. No idea if that helps or not. Feel free to test this branch as local add-on and report back.
This is the related issues on github if anybody would like to keep track of it https://github.com/da-anda/hass-io-addons/issues/12