KNXD add-on: convert your KNX-USB interface into an IP interface that can be used by HA

startup issues should finally be resolved in 0.4.7 now. Sorry for the inconvenience with the broken update.

Hi da-anda,

I am still at 0.4.2 as there are problems starting up since each update after 0.4.2. It seems there is no image on github.
I have HA running in a linux virtual machine in unraid and the error message says:
‘Image Package hass-io-addons-amd64-addon-knxd · GitHub does not exist for addon_ecaeb50e_knxd’
In my humble opinion it could have to do sth. with the point you already mentioned: The “SHA of the GIT repo”… Hope this helps - if you need more info, please let me know!

images are there. 0.4.2 was the last version without precompiled images. If every version after that fails for you to install, I suspect that something maybe is blocking the access to the Github container repo. The amd64 version of 0.4.7 has been downloaded 7 times so far, so it must be working for others.

edit:
my suggestion would be:

• create a backup of your 0.4.2 version
  • uninstall the add-on
  • add the add-on again and see if this fixes things
  • if this is still not working for you, maybe check if something is blocking the access to the container repo

Hi @da-anda
thank you for the new release and for your effort.
I stayed on 0.4.3 for months as newer releases didn’t work for me (mainly cause ETS connections were unstable at best)

Just wanted to let you know that 0.4.7 works like a charm for me (using the HA integration to connect to the bus as well as ETS) :partying_face:

You made not my day, but at least half my year :wink:
That did the trick!!
I did not try to uninstall and reinstall it - but now everything works like a charm.
Thanks for your answer and the whole add-on!

About my libusb error:

The knxd docs say about usb devices that “You may need a UDEV rule that changes the USB device’s ownership to knxd.”.

I am running hassos on my rpi 4 and there this is not possible.

After updating to the latest version of your addon I will also follow this instructions (No UDEV Rules?) and try ttyUSB0 or ttyUSB1 (I hope they are available…).

Is anybody running this add on within hassos directly?

Not that I know anything about knxd, but Addons in general only run on HA OS (and supervised). That’s what they are made for.

Oh sorry, my bad, I don’t know that :frowning: Thank you for the clarification.

knxd should be running with root privileges inside the container, so this shouldn’t be an issue

Hi
so i installed HA on my RPi 3 and connected this adapter to usb on Rpi and other side to an old GIRA RS232 to KNX
KNX extension is installed but it doesnt get discovered (set on automatic mode)
This is my knxd config:

address: 0.0.1
client_address: 0.0.2:8
interface: usb
device: /dev/ttyAMA0
log_error_level: warning
usb_filters: single
ip_address: ""
dest_port: "99"
custom_config: ""

What am I doing wrong/what to look for?

since you are using RS232, your KNX interface type certainly isn’t USB. You can try switching the interface type of the add-on to “TPUART” and select the correct serial device - maybe this helps. If not, please search the web which protocol the GIRA interface requires and play around with the settings.

edit: in case you speak german, you can give this forum a shot - people there will know more about knxd then me (I only wrapped knxd as a HAOS add-on and have no other deeper knowledge of it, apart from the official docs on the knxd github repo): knxd - KNX-User-Forum

Is it work with this china board ? China KNX Thing

no idea. Link doesn’t work for me (“product not available in your country”). But even if it did, still no idea. As mentioned earlier, I am neither a dev of knxd nor do I know much about it. If you search the web and somebody claims this device is working with knxd, then it should also work with this add-on

Is there a list or table of devices that work?
I meant this

I don’t think so. It is certainly a good sign if it was a KNX certified product (it carries the KNX logo). But even some (very old) certified devices won’t work perfectly with todays systems.

I’d always recommend using a certified IP interface over some DIY-USB thing for HA.

Can you recomanded something specific?

Weinzierl, Gira and Enertex are very good imho.
I only used IP Routers though, which I guess you don’t need, but I’m sure their IP interfaces are just as fine.

That is very expensive. I’m not even sure if it will work with the boiler unit I want it for. Unfortunately, there is no one in my area who would help me try it out.

Usually starts at 150€. If your device has a knx logo it should work. Given you have ETS and the application for the device (if irbid not listed in the online catalog).

Do you have KNX already installed in your house?
If not, it needs a bit more than only a cable. If you want to start with KNX, you will need a PSU, Interface, connected devices and the EtS software license, approx. 700 EUR plus in total.
I have KNX installed and bought some stuff for our new boiler, but than switched to EMS-ESP32.

If your Boiler uses EMS bus (Bosch, Buderus etc), I would recommend this way an connect the EMS-ESP32 via MQTT to Home Assistant. Its way cheaper and easier.

If you wand a local KNX USB Stick, I can recommend the TULP Stick from Busware. The addon configuration is easy. The stick is a TPUART based one and I think it is used more often and the chance to get support in this community or at github for knxd or the German KNX User Forum is way better.

The addon itself is more or less only so wrapper stuff to make configuration via UI of HA possible. Everything else is default knxd behaviour.