KVM installation failed [RESOLVED]

I’m running Debian/Bullseye (11) on an AMD64 system.

I downloaded haos_ova-9.3.qcow2.xz (and unzipped it) then I followed the howto at Linux - Home Assistant using the KVM (virt-manager) tab. The only inconsistency I found was that the org.qemu.guest_agent.0 seemed to already exist. However, once I stopped trying to add it, the installation seemed to proceed.

Unfortunately I can’t connect to it using a homeassistant address. When I try to get the IP address to try that, the “details” tab on the VM shows it as “Unknown”. The network is set up the same as multiple other VMs I have on the same system and on another machine: Bridge device… br0 virtio…

I tried selecting the other available NIC option - e1000e - but I get the same result.

The VM display ends with a line: Press ESC in 1 seconds to skip startup.nsh or any other key to continue…

Whatever I do at this point, it simply ends with a line: Shell>
which seems to be a UEFI interactive shell.

I deleted the VM and tried again, this time selecting Generic Linux 2020 and not trying to add the channel device since it was already there. I get exactly the same thing.

Any ideas on how I can get a working VM?

After several more retries, I found what works. It seems that only one boot option works out of the 4 UEFI options available. Three of them were OVFM with only 2 being not secure boot. Picking the wrong one leaves you stranded at the UEFI interactive shell.