LAN Connection Issues - How do I debug?

Over the last couple of days, errors have been popping up in the hassio logs that it cannot connect to various hosts, both locally on the network (e.g. Philips Hue bridge) and externally (e.g. Dark Sky, Google, etc.).

Additionally, the Pi appears to randomly drop its network connection entirely. When this happens, I unplug its power cable, wait 10 seconds or so, and plug it back in. This, unfortunately, doesn’t fix the issue. Sometimes hassio manages to get on the network, but it will show on the frontend that various services are not configured correctly. I haven’t changed the configuration of these at all. Other times, though, it never seems to connect to the network.

As of right now, I cannot get it to connect. Pings to its LAN IP address from my desktop PC give me results like so:

Pinging 192.168.1.170 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.101: Destination host unreachable.
Request timed out.

I don’t understand those responses, as 192.168.1.101 is the PC I am pinging from. As it’s not connected to the network (as far as I can tell), I am unable to SSH into hassio, either.

This happened to me before about 2 weeks ago, but it somehow ironed itself out back then…I think.

How do I go about troubleshooting here? Any tips at all?

The most recent reboot allowed me to check the logs via a logviewer program on my PC, so hassio got on the network for at least a bit. The logs contain errors for setting up practically every platform. Nearly all of the errors end with one of the following:

socket.gaierror: [Errno -3] Try again
Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again
[Errno 101] Network unreachable

Does anyone have a clue what might be going on?

Did you ever sort this out? I am facing the same issue…

If you’re seeing this on wifi, it’s possibly due to too many devices / too weak a signal.

I had a similar problem when I added several Sonoff devices at far ends of the house. When I added a 2nd WAP and put my Ras Pi on cabled ethernet the problem disappeared.

In my case I am seeing this while being connected wired. I already changed DNS servers etc., but problem still persists…

And the devices you are communicating with are cabled too? Or are they on wifi?

Another possibility is that there is a network storm (usually a loop) somewhere and the network is struggling - perhaps see if the network load is high (if you have a device that can show that)

Or - duplicate IP addresses

All devices together run at about 200 kbyte/s. The main culprit is the NUC and the issue is when the NUC tries to reach the internet. I have quite a beefy Asus AC87U and a 50/5mbit internet connection. All devices currently in the network (with the exception of the NUC, the Google Home and my cell) are blocked from accessing the internet.

Ah ok.

I was assuming you had a Ras Pi (as per the OP).

Hmm… if it’s a single device, perhaps it’s a basic issue like a faulty cable? Maybe just try a different cable and see if that resolves the issue.

I have run several tests and have to conclude that the culprit is Homeassistant. I started a seperate thread on this at: Network unreachable