Large file causing reboot

Hi,

Just recently my home assistant installation keep losing connection and re-booting. I am trying to figure out what is causing it as noting much has changed in my setup.

I do have one idea of what might be causing it…some time ago I set up a node red flow to save down location information from owntracks into a csv file which is stored in the config/node red folder…my guess is that this file has been growing larger and larger and is now causing a problem.

The reason I suspect this is because when I try to access that folder from either file editor or studio code server I cannot get into the directory and this is when it loses connection and says rebooting.

1. How can I check if this is the case? and
  2. How can I access the file and move it somewhere else if I cant access the folder?

Thanks in advance
Gavin

Can you access the folder via ssh and list the contents?

I can access via ssh, but when I try to look into the node-red folder it wont list the contents:

From the image you can see that I can list the contents of my config folder ok, but when I try to ls in the node-red folder it shows nothing

I suspect the ‘node-red’ directory (folder) is empty. Try a ‘ls -la’ from within ‘node-red’. I expect to see ‘.’ and ‘…’ only (no other files/dirs).
You might try a ‘find / -name *.csv’ to look for your ‘.csv’ file elsewhere. beware hass/docker do lots of ‘funny’ things with file paths. The ‘.csv’ file may not be where you expect.

You are correct…

Where else could the file be?

And is it possible to find out if that is the offending issue as the reboots now seem to be more frequent (about every 15 minutes now)

I looked at the node red setup again and clarified that it is a json file that I am saving down to storage (rather than a csv) in a write file node with the following path:

/config/node-red/owntracks.json

This is where things get a littler blurry for me… I think that node-red is running in docker instance which means it has it own version of /config. When you use ‘terminal’ I think you are within the docker image for supervisor and the files/paths you see are different.
The find command I mentioned will find your ‘.cvs’ in the files you have access to from your ‘terminal’ session not all files on the file system for your OS.

ok when I look at the different containers here is what I get:

I tried to adapt your situation fswapping influx for node red but got the following message:

Use the container id listed in the first column, not the container name. It’s a confusing post but they do mention that they replaced the name with the id everywhere it was used in the command.

Nope still not…

Any further suggestions?