Large Z-Wave Network multiple controllers? Z-Sticks Possible?

@k8gg
Just reread your answer.
It’s not necessary about the physical size of the house but also about interference from walls, and what the signal needs to travel through.

Also with more than 50 devices network will slow down to a crawl zwave devices are chstty. When you spatially separate the networks latency and responsiveness of devices increases greatly.

In my example above I have 146 switches alone . I still need to enroll ~50 more devices.

Another point is, my pis are wired in with POE and Ethernet and are central to each network,.which makes devices responsive and fast.

I tried making a mesh and do it with a single hub. I couldn’t even enroll any dimmers one room over.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the reply. Instead of what you’re describing with two different z-wave mesh networks, I am curious if I can have two different originating/receiving z-wave controllers to send/receive commands/device-sensor states based on best signal to/from end device instead of relying on one controller that sends out/receives the commands/device-sensor states through a mesh network. (Ie would prefer to avoid HA commands that are sent through one controller traveling through a long series of z-wave devices in the mesh network to the end device, or device-sensor states that are received by that same HA z-wave controller traveling from an originating z-wave device after traveling through the series of z-wave devices in a mesh network).

Essentially like access points in a wifi network where the originating commands coming from HA or sensor states received by HA goes through a z-wave controller based on signal strength/distance between said controller and end device/originating sensor device. Similar to wifi access points with wifi devices.

What controller do you have and do you have any long range devices?
The reason I ask is because I think you should try Z-Wave Long Range. If anyone would see any benefit from long range it would be you. I’ve been testing it out in my own environment but as a basic consumer I am more interested in what other people’s experience are with it.

1. Yes you can have multiple Z-Wave Controllers in a single network.
  2. Z-Wave Associations are how end devices know what node id to send info to. If you setup associations for both controllers then the device will send info to both controllers and so on. This means its not possible to have a device send to a specific controller based on signal strength/distance.