Latest hass.io not booting on Raspi3B

Hello. I have raspi 3 model B. Booting changed to USB using program_usb_boot_mode=1.
Installed hassos_rpi3-2.12.img.gz on USB flash using balena etcher (unsafe mode).
After start raspberry shows:
*** Warning: no boot file name; using ‘C0A80098.img’
Using smsc95xx_eth device
TFTP from server 0.0.0.0; our IP address is 192.168.0.152; sending through gateway 192.168.0.1
Filename ‘C0A80098.img’.
Load address: 0x200000
Loading: T T T

and repeating…

Any idea please?

I would try flashing that image to USB again. Seems like it might be corrupt.

Tried on 2 different usb flash, tried with balenaetcher and win32imager. Still the same. I´m not the onlyone who has this problem. There are the same questions on internet - without answer.

1 Like

Good point, and that would explain the message, worth trying

Give a link

Does the latest non-beta release of Hass.io even support USB boot on a rPI3 yet?

Maybe there is the answer: DavidFW1960David

Jul '18

Perhaps you’re misunderstanding. USB boot is not ‘required’
HassOS will not boot from a USB drive - you must use an SD-Card.
The old ResinOS you COULD set to boot from USB but it was never a ‘requirement’

DAMNED HASS.IO not installed yet and I´m pissed off. Really looking forward to living with it :slight_smile:

Sorry, does this mean you were trying to install it to a USB memory stick rather than the boot sd card for the pi ?

I must use old ResinOS version. But this is the dead way. Great - after few years I decide to left Hassbian because is dead and move to Hass.io and it is halfdead - LUCKY ME :slight_smile:

I still have no information upon which to comment

Why “must” you use resinOS ?

Of course I want to use USB instead of SD card. SD card in Raspberry is scheduled suicide.

No it’s not.
And even if it were, they would HAVE to have a migration path.
The raspbian method is being deprecated, not hassOS

Go read the RIP Raspbian thread

I don’t the Raspbian is going anywhere. Hassbian is a a goner though.

FWIW USB boot looks like it’s coming to HASSOS soon. I was reading a thread were some folks had it working on the 3.4 or 3.5 prerelease version of HASSOS. Can’t seem to find it now but this seems to confirm it.

Ah ! Yes you are right, I only was peripherally aware as it doesn’t affect me.
Thanks for the correction but more importantly putting the correct information to the OP

I can just barely find my way around in linux never mind be confident in securing a server so I’ve stuck to HASSOS being as it’s exposed to the internet and all that. So I’ve been anxiously awaiting this change. Being able to run it all off of an SSD and ditching the SD card is going to be peachy.

Really old thread you quoted me from there lol. I have not even used a Pi for longer than a year. I was last running a Pi with Raspbian lite, docker and hass.io as a generic Linux install booting from USB which worked brilliantly. On my nuc I use the same generic install method over debian, docker.

I’m currently fine with a pi 3b, but my technophile nature means I’m being tempted towards a NUC even though the benefits are slight (ie speed improvements). How vacuous am I ? Next thing, I’ll change my avatar to a muscle car to show I’m defined by the things I own or aspire to :rofl: