LD2411S - The LD2410 (better) succesor

I have got some new sample modules from HiLink to try and integrate to Home Assistant.
LD2411S was one of them.

It’s a 24GHz mmwave motion and presence sensor with Bluetooth capabilities.Could be considered as the successor of the LD2410.

The first results show that it is more accurate and precise, since it’s using 4 RX and TX Antennas instead of 1.

It can recognise targets in motion (30-600cm) or static (30-350cm) in between the adjustable distance range, exposing motion and presence sensors, as long the distance from the target.

The settings can also be changed via Bluetooth HLKRadarTool app, which also provides an option for OTA firmware updates.

For more info please visit github

*The links are NOT affiliate.

3 Likes

How does the power consumption compare?

According to the specs LD2410 has a power consumption of 79mA and the LD2411S 48mA.
Haven’t tested it…

Thanks for your job.
I tried to use the LD2411, but it is not functional.
What is the difference between LD2411 and LD2411S?

The library is for the S version.

I’m not quite sure what are the differences, I think only the firmware since there are no hardware differences that I can recognize.

I got both versions to try but haven’t yet got the protocol for the plain version.

If you want to live in the edge you could try the OTA update via the APP, it may give you an option to update to an S firmware, but can’t guarantee any results…

So according HiLink, the LD2411 recognizes micromovements as hand gestures and they developed it to use it in the toilet to control the seat. (Of course gestures could be useful in other ways).
LD2411S is developed as a motion and presence sensor with distance measuring.

The only difference is the firmware, but they wrote that they don’t provide the firmware to the customers…

So maybe the OTA update will be a solution for you (I have accidentally updated a S to the plain version and got back again)

Thank you for the advice.
I tried to upload firmware for the “S” version, but even with this version are sensors in the “unknown” state.

Before we exclude them, could you check the tx and rx pins from .yaml if they are the same with the ones you use?

Yes Piny I checked my I have it entered correctly.
D1 mini - inoperative
ESP32 - inoperative
I’m sorry.

Ordered 2 s pieces, will test and write again. Hopefully they will be able to sense my non-living kind of sleeping so I can finally automate climate on dormitory based on presence at night.

Haven’t yet tested it in sleep conditions. If you do that it’s better to mount it over the bed, parallel to your body, to have the best results

I bought “Original” LD2411S and all right - functional. Thank you.

1 Like

How do you guys make it work with esphome? Are you using the LD2410 official integration?

Edit: just saw the GitHub link!

@ChreeceGR thanks for sharing your repo! I’m currently using the LD2410C and I really like I can set the sensitivity (gates) for movement and still energy. Are you able to tweak these things in the LD2411S too?

To answer your question, it’s surprisingly different than LD2410. No gates (maybe internally), just minimum and maximum detection distance. If you have a fan or something in the way, this is a problem, no way to calibrate for unnocupied room. It also detects presence without needing to have triggered full movement, unlike the other model does. This can be avoided with a clever esphome template binary sensor though.
I still like it and it’s useful for my use case. I managed to get 2 of them reporting presence, movement and distance on the same esp32c3 by amateurishly adding “2” where i saw fit on a copy of the .h file provided by the repo author. Only changin uart id was not enough.
My use case is this: leave old LD2410 on the wall reading the room horizontally, and add LD2411s in the ceiling, right above the bed, behind drywall (it was possible for me) to accurately sense bed presence. The detection cone is too narrow for it to see the rest of the room from there.
Don’t change to beta firmware, you’ll end up transforming it to no n"s" version that has no settings to play with and I had a bit of a tense moment when Bluetooth disconnected when trying to reverse to original. With weak power supplies (or too long and thin wires) Bluetooth disconnectes randomly.

oh no, that’s a bummer! I honestly don’t want to have several mmWave sensors. I already have motion when you enter the room to activate the lights and the LD2410C to know if I should keep the lights on or not.

I even have a visual setup where I can see the still energy and movement to know which gate I need to tweak. Sad to not see the gate support in this sensor :frowning:

Check video here → Screen Capture on 2023-09-08 at 11-20-42.mp4 - Droplr

I just got the sensors and I’m giving it a try. Which firmware do you guys recommend to use?

I have been testing these sensors “naked” for several weeks and they work great. However today I made a 3D printed box for them and they started to behave weird, with many false positives and negatives. I have other sensors in 3D printed boxes like the 2410 that work great. Anyone noticed these problems?

yeah i noticed the same here, worked fine naked but inside a pumpkin it was tricky to get working without false negatives and i hear it still does happen, i think i will replace the sensor in that with a 2410 when i repurpose the project for xmas fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks for your reply man, I was going crazy. Indeed, I have printed a lid with around 1.5mm of thickness and the LD2410C works perfectly but the LD2411 it’s impossible to make it work