Leak Detection Cable

Is there any chance to integrate water leak detection cable to HA?
Just for reference - https://prosinogroup.com/fluid-leak-detection-cable/

Basically, it just one wire, folded in half twice, half isolated. It can detect a shortcuts in case of water touch 2 naked wires, decreasing resistance can be detected in this case.
INHO this way leak detection is more accurate, and not depend on batteries or wireless connection. It can be placed across whole boiler room, for instance near walls
Iven more, by using some math, exact place of wire with water can be calculated

Depending on the sense wire resistance you could probably use that cable with this if you are into DIY:

If not into DIY then you could purchase any zigbee, wifi or zwave leak detector that woks with home assistant and connect the sensing wires to the water leak contacts on the device (so still a little DIY required).

This will only give an alarm, not location of the leak. You could use a resistance sensor in ESPhome to estimate the position, but it would take a bit of trial and error calibration.

Interesting sensor cable. I’ve not seen that before.

Thanks Tom!

Great project!
Yes, I’ll definitely made DIY one, and your link to Aliexpress is super useful - that store has cable I’m talking about as well! :slight_smile:

But my question was more about which sensor type to use in configuration file.
And you share great option with binary sensor!

But what if I want to use pretty long cable, detect exact place of leak will be great option.
I think kinda “analog sensor” option should work in this case, like a soil moisture sensor for instance.
Just measure value for cable wet beginning and wet end, then just divide difference by length

Thanks Tom!
Your comets is extremely useful, as always!

PS time to buy couple cables in that store :slight_smile: https://a.aliexpress.com/_eKxpnJ (link for mobile app)

@DenisO
Did you succeed with this cable?

@UksusoFF unfortunately not yet, my project is postponed at the moment
If you will be first successor, please share with your experience here

I am assuming this was never done? I am looking for a similar solution.

Finally, I made one custom simple “dry contact” sensor
Its working, detecting leakage fact, but not exact place of it.