LG Netcast component not working

Hi everyone, sorry to hijack this. I have a LG 55LE5500, which does have netcast, but I believe that this is a 2010 model. There is an RJ45 jack, and netcast programs.

When I install the LG Netcast component, the card appears on the main Home Assistant page, but there are no controls present (or even on/off). It’s non-functional, and no key ever appears on my TV for pairing either.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening?

I just started fiddling with this as well.

Adding the config to homeassistant didn’t get a response from my TV as well.
After I installed the LG TV remote app and did a scan, finally a popup showed up. (make sure you are just watching TV).
However the pairing key was blank :frowning_face:
Changed the IP settings to manual, then a pairing key showed up (6 letters)
Entered it into the app, and it works.
Entered it into home-assistant configuration file without quotes, no luck…

For who use wake on lan (connect to LG with lan cable) you would probably be able to turn on and off using the media_player.

To check if your lg tv is possible to control. Go to network from your computer, you should see that lg tv is also in the network. If you don’t see, try config from your lg tv to ENABLE The SHARE so can be seen on network. Once can be seen on network then you can add in HA. If possible please fix your LG TV IP ADDRESS. So it can be found easily.

LG Netcast enable you to turn on (via lan) and turn off (lan or wifi) and display what you are watching.

I recently added this to HASS and am able to do volume, off(im on wifi) and pause/play, but I see a “source” command. Is there a config where I can specify the sources? Or a way to switch sources?

Hi everyone

I have tried every itteration of advice on this thread but cant seem to get my LG Netcast 4 to work.
I dont get any errors in the journal logs from what i can see but there are no errors.
One thing that I wanted to query is does the LG TV need to be on the same subnet as the HA service? My TV sits on my wireless network/subnet so that I can cast from my mobiles.
The HA service sits on my ethernet network.

Your assistance is highly appreciated.

Hi did you manage to get your sources to work? I can see all my live TV channels but no HDMI inputs.

No, unfortunately I haven’t done anything with it.

Thanks for the reply, I’m not having much joy

`customize:
 sources:
    - hdmi 1
    - hdmi 2
    - hdmi 3
    - hdmi 4`

Hi! I’m not sure if you’ve a solution, but you can find my post here (the last one):

Thanks gh0s7, I did give your custom component a try last night but it was just showing the TV as off?
Problem might be I was using the same access token I’m using for the LG Netcast TV component? I’ll have another try tonight.

I think it is not related with the token, because the first time I tried to pull the token on the screen I used the android app and as far as I know once generated it is the same for all apps that needs to use it and is changed only when TV software update occurs or if TV factory reset occurs.

My code does’t implement functionality for input sources switching and this might be implemented soon. I have to read the docs to see what I have to add to my code in order to change a source.

What is your current platform for controlling the TV? What is your TV model?
Is this link working for your TV and what it returns:
http://<your_tv_ip>:8080/hdcp/api/data?target=version_info

According to the LG’s documentation, changing to given input source is not possible. The only thing that you can directly switch to is the Live TV, using their virtual key code 43 which can be done using HandelKeyInput command sent to the TV. The closest to changing the input is using the virtual key code 47, which will bring the External Input Select menu on the display of the TV. The following link is for the protocol. Keep in mind that there are requests described here that your specific TV model may not support.

LG UDAP 2.0 Protocol

Actually there is a way of doing everything, but no one will have enough time and nerves. Everything is possible trough the RS232 serial connection and sending direct commands to the serial port, but then you’ll have to attach arduino, or USB to TTL FTDI, wich can communicate to the RS232 and somehow send commands to this module, and then integrate it in Home Assistant … Too much work … You can search if it is possible to send HDMI-CEC commands for changing to specific input (if it is possible… I don’t think so, but you can give it a try).
:slight_smile:

Thanks for the info gh0s7 I will try http://<your_tv_ip>:8080/hdcp/api/data?target=version_info and see what I get tonight. Your custom component is still showing the TV as off? (I tried removing the token and factory rest the tv with no luck). When I removed the media_player folder from custom_components folder https://www.home-assistant.io/components/media_player.lg_netcast/ works fine, I can select TV channels and it tells me what programme is playing but no HDMI selection available. (I have a Sony TV that lets me do HDMI). I might just get a Harmony hub (Xbox doesn’t do CEC).

TV is a LG 42LA6230

Dude, this topic is now a total mess. :smiley: My answer was for @snarl, becase his TV is older (pre 2012y.). I rewrote the origilal plugin, so it can work for older models. Your LG TV is from 2013. Yet NetCast OS version of you tv is not supporting Input changing via network requests, because it based on the same protocol version. Your Sony TV allows you to switch between differet inputs, becase it uses different technology, and different Home Assistent Media Player platform, wich are specifically for Sony. To make it a little bit more clear, my other 2 TVs are LG too, but they are using WebOS, and they have different HA Media Player platform (webos), with different HA configuration, different extras supported and written for this particular brand with this particular OS. :slight_smile: I’m sorry, but your TV will never be able to switch between diffrent inputs trough network requests, while running NetCast. But don’t worry, because you are not alone - mine is also running NetCast and won’t be able too. :slight_smile:

Thanks gh0s7 no not a mess, I got my answer “your TV will never be able to switch between different inputs trough network requests” It did look promising.

1 Like

Good Morning!

My player has been upside down, have you managed to solve yours?

Hello!

No. This component have not been updated for ages now, If you got it working, the upside down image on the player entity is the least of your problems :slight_smile:

Took me a long time to get mine working and I am still not confident about it, it broke down, out of the blue, so many times…

Best of luck to you my friend!

In case it helps someone else, this is what I have done.

I couldn’t take the access token until I changed the subnet of tv to be in the same as the HA.

Then added:

media_player:
  - platform: lg_netcast
    host: 192.168.0.20
    access_token: 0

Restarted HA and access token appeared on TV.

Replaced it in config and everything is OK for now.

So I followed what @wokar said but TV and HA should be in same subnet (in mycase).

Tell me, plz, did I understand correctly that there is no way to switch broadcasting to hdmi output for TVs on Netcast?
Has anything changed since then?