Lightify and Scenes... Just want warm white

I have the same exact issue with my sengled bulbs, I have a scene to set them to a warm white, but they just come on at white. It also seems that if I choose a color, including white it ignores my temperature until I move the slider, so maybe we need scenes to set the color, then the temperature if we’re setting the light to white?

3 Likes

I am seeing the same issue with Philips Hue color bulbs. I have been able to work around it by manually editing the scene YAML by removing all the color sections (hs_color, rgb_color, xy_color). Once you remove those, the color_temp will work.

However, if you edit the scene again using the scene GUI, it will re-add those sections back into the config, so this is quite annoying. You need to only use the file editor to change your scene.

I suspect HA is setting the color_temp, but is then also setting the color based on the other xxx_color sections, which overwrites the color_temp setting in the bulb.

1 Like

I continue to see posts with this same problem going back a year or more. I am surprised that it has not been resolved yet. I just got my HA up and running and (fortunately) have only moved 3 bulbs over…2 Osram/Lightify and 1 Sylvania/Ledvance Smart+ I have exactly the same problem with scenes. Now I’m hesitant to move more.

1 Like

I have the same exact problem, created a new scene, added a device and set to warm white, saved the scene and when activate the scene, the light in white but not warm

is there a solution somewhere ?

2 Likes

I can confirm: color temperature is currently ignored by scenes. Hence you always get the last value that was set.

1 Like

So here I was thinking this was due to the new update. I am trying to set a “Movie Time” scene in the UI that always turns my TV backlight blue instead of white. Once I move the color slider, it fixes itself but even after adjusting the slider back, saving the scene and exiting it jumps right back to the blue light. Is this something worth opening up an issue on or is everyone just setting this up in the YAML?

2 Likes

Had this same issue with Sengled E11-N1EAs I’m trying to bring over from a SmartThings setup. Tried messing with scenes but as far as I can tell they are broken for this functionality (trying to change temperature). Got it working with an automation instead. I tied the automation to a button press. Below is a quick ‘bedtime mode’ I made dimming 4 lights and setting temperature to a deep orange.

alias: Living Room - Bedtime
  description: Dim light to bedtime levels
  trigger:
  - device_id: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    domain: zha
    platform: device
    type: remote_button_short_press
  condition: []
  action:
  - service: light.turn_on
    data:
      entity_id: light.living_room_lamp_level_light_color_on_off
      brightness: 1
      kelvin: 2000
    data:
      entity_id: light.living_room_1_level_light_color_on_off
    data:
      entity_id: light.living_room_2_level_light_color_on_off
    data:
      entity_id: light.living_room_3_level_light_color_on_off

4 Likes

This happens also with the new Lidl smart RGB bulbs: Colored lights on scenes work great. But for actual white tones you want to adjust the the color temperature slider because it gives you many times more light by using the white leds instead of composing the color with the RGB leds),

The problem is, that the scene saves everything (including the selected color in all the supported color formats, among other attributes), and when you restore the scene, you will also restore the RGB colors to the lamp, and this wipes out the white balance setting, because they are mutually exclusive at least in the Lidl bulbs.

My Trådfri bulbs have just RGB leds, so they work right. But any lights that have RGB and white are likely hit by this.

So if you set white balance, saving a scene should either ignore any RGB color for a given lamp , or it should restore white balance last when activating a scene.

You can make your scenes work by removing all the color definition except white balance and brightness from the scenes.yaml.

3 Likes

I’ll have to give this a try. It’s the only thing that has prevented me from moving my RGBW bulbs to HA. Thanks.

Does this work if I want Warm White selected?
Do you have a screenshot you can share?

As I’m having this exact issue with all my RGBW lamps. The scenes selects the RGB colour instead and ignores my Warm White requirement.

I had similar issues too. I created a blueprint to solve it.
You could grab the automation and modify the condition to only fire if your bulb was activated by a specific scene. This blueprint below runs every time the light is turned on.

Hi all, sorry to revive an older thread. I thought I had replied to this, but I did not. I’m glad I’m not the only one facing this issue. My Proxmox box crashed so I ended up having to completely rebuild HA from scratch.
Same issue with the new build. I did end up finding a workaround. I created a scene in the GUI, but then edited the YAML manually to get the color temps I wanted. There was a bunch of extra stuff I had to strip out since they’re RGBW bulbs. It’s worth noting that if you modify the Scenes in the GUI again, it totally screws up all of your manual work and the Scene no longer gives you the color temperature you want. It’s a pain…

1 Like

Would you be able to share what your new scene looks like so we can compare what you had to what you have now and know what was removed? That would be helpful to the community.

Thought I’d throw my name in for having the same problem. Looks like color temperature gets ignored (or the color wheel takes precedence). I like that there is a work-around by editing the YAML but I don’t want to have to do that every time I update a scene.
Hopefully there’s a fix soon. Has anyone run this up the flagpole at all?

I was able to fix this by manually editing my scenes.yaml file - changing:

color_mode: hs

to

color_mode: color_temp

seems to have done the trick.

1 Like

Yes, @pjn77 you are definitely in the right place!
So I’ve got mine figured out now!
If you update to the latest core (April 2021 release(s)) then it should pay more attention to this change. I had to upgrade my Tasmota flashed lights to the 9.x release(s) and then use the Tasmota integration instead of the MQTT (if you’re using Tasmota firmware on your device, and it’s not showing up in Tasmota integration, make sure you setOption19 0 aka turn off auto-discovery. It should pop up almost instantly in Tasmota integration).
After that, you’ll see some new thing pop up in the control of the devices, including a White Channel slider and the color_mode change correctly depending on your last color change, whether it was to the color temperature or to the hue/sat values.
BUT if you’re not using Tasmota, or still having issues, then yes, configuring the scenes.yaml will fix your problem. What I recommend is set your scene using the UI, save, then hit the snowman/options in upper right and select Edit YAML. Add color_mode: color_temp and then color_temp: ### under that light or group and save.
KNOW THIS THOUGH: if you edit that scene in the UI later, it will most likely overwrite that YAML you edited to you’ll have to redo it later.
Hope this helps someone, it took me a while to get it working. If anyone needs more help, let me know, I’ll keep an eye on the post.

This problem is caused by lights reporting an ambiguous state, for example with both a color_temp and a hs_color. It’s then impossible to reliably restore the scene because Home Assistant does not know if the color_temp or the hs_color is valid.

This needs to be fixed for each affected integration by making sure it doesn’t report any ambiguous states.
Please create an issue here: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/new?assignees=&labels=&template=bug_report.yml, for example “Integration xxx fails to apply scene” and ping me in the issue. In the issue make sure to include:

• Which integration is affected
  • What does not work, for example you expect the light to be set to white with color_temp, but the light is set to a color instead
  • An example scene
1 Like

I also struggled with this and solved it.
for non-rgb colors using the white light, you must be in “color_mode: color_temp” instead of “hs”

supported_color_modes:
      - color_temp
      - hs

The rest of it was pretty straight forward.

I set the light in the scene UI and then just modified the YAML to change color_mode.

My full scene YAML:

light.eb4734acebb254704b5hab:
      min_mireds: 153
      max_mireds: 370
      supported_color_modes:
      - color_temp
      - hs
      brightness: 255
      hs_color:
      xy_color:
      color_temp: 370
      friendly_name: LAMPTAN jarton Bulb CCT+RGB 11w
      supported_features: 19
      state: 'on'
1 Like

also, remember to reload YAML configuration for scenes, after you’ve made changes /config/server_control

1 Like

Tried to get scenes working for ages. This worked wonderfully.