Lights on at Dusk - is this the best/simplest way?

Hey Will,

Did you fix the turn on lights at dusk? I would really like to be able to automate that.

Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve fixed it.

Here’s how I did it

alias: Front Stairs on dusk
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: sun.sun
    attribute: next_dusk
condition: []
action:
  - type: turn_on
    device_id: 9b90ebd0a6d1fe1021f792e438d913c3
    entity_id: light.front_stairs
    domain: light
mode: single

Alright,

Actually I tried that today. The lights went on just about 2 hours later than dusk. Do you have any ideas?

Have you set your house coordinates correctly in home assistant / configuration / general?

Also check the Timezone just below that setting on the same page … and possibly elevation might play a part in the calculation too

Yes,

Checked everything there. All set correctly…

This is what it said today:
next_dusk: ‘2021-09-10T18:19:56.880598+00:00’

Light automation triggered 8:22:54 PM

What do you see when you go here in dev tools?

Ok, Those times are in utc, to convert the time stamp, instead try pasting this in dev tools / template

Next Dusk will be at
{{ as_timestamp(state_attr("sun.sun","next_dusk")) | timestamp_custom('%I:%M:%S %p') }}

Wow,

That’s interesting. Got this when pasted into dev tools:

I’ve updated the code.

Try

Next setting will be at
{{ as_timestamp(state_attr("sun.sun","next_setting")) | timestamp_custom('%I:%M:%S %p') }}

Next Dusk will be at
{{ as_timestamp(state_attr("sun.sun","next_dusk")) | timestamp_custom('%I:%M:%S %p') }}

trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: sun.sun
    attribute: next_dusk

The trigger you have will trigger when the ‘next_dusk’ attribute changes, not at the time the attribute refers to. You need to look at a time trigger or a template trigger.

I disagree. This trigger works perfectly for me everyday.

I guess it would change when the current ‘next_dusk’ time passes. Fair enough :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thats what I figured.

Then I should wait and see what happens tomorrow?

Well, is the time of 8:19pm what you expected for dusk or not? I don’t live where you live so I don’t know what is normal where you live.

Did you try the updated template that shows setting and dusk times?

I have double checked now.

Dusk where I live is at 20:19.

However. This is what the su.sun attributes says: next_dusk: ‘2021-09-10T18:19:56.880598+00:00’

Where I live, there is about 20 mins difference between sunset and dusk

That’s fine. That time is in utc which ha is fine with

The time in the attribute is also in GMT/UTC. What is your offset?

This is why I asked you to check your Timezone as this affects the utc conversion