LightwaveRF dimmer and switch support

It would be really great to integrate LightwaveRF switches and dimmers into Home Assistant. Right now this is the only thing that’s stopping me from adopting this amazing platform.

2 Likes

I would also like this.

I have control my lights and mains sockets with the LightwaveRF Wifi Link Hub this using command_line and calling up a Python script.

The problem is it only sends back the “001,OK” command from the LightwaveRF WiFi Hub. and if someone uses the LightwaveRF remote control there is no response from the WiFi Link Hub.

It would be good if someone could make a Ardunio/RasPi 433.92MHz receiver and incorporate it in to HA this would help with the status on the HA.

They also do a EcoMeter which gives electricity meter readings back to the RF WiFi Hub.

Cameron - I have the same problem. I tried putting together a script that called my Lightwave Link via UDP and the lag was painful. Lightwave are quite open to offering their RESt platform details these days so maybe that’s a start?

Hi @cameron,

I think the better solution for direct commands to the LightwaveRF devices would be an RFXCom. Although having the LightwaveRF WifiLink already I’m going to look into how to integrate it with Home Assistant.

I’m using LightwaveRF for dimmer lights, normal lights and sockets. I also use the energy monitor device. I have written to the LightwaveRF guys before and have a copy of the API documentation and have integrated these devices into OpenRemote and EmonCMS already.

I plan to take a look at adding support for this platform myself over the next few weeks.

Joe.

Thanks Joe this would be great.

I was playing with the RXRF.Py that Ben at http://www.bruhautomation.com on how to get RF feedback from the remotes.

But it did not work for the LightwaveRf remotes… So any help on this would be great.

Cameron

Joe was that integration done using RFXComm or the REST API?

Hi Joe

Sorry to ask how is the modual going for the control of the Lightwaverf RF stuff going?

Cameron

Early days, but I’ve been playing with a cheapy 433 rf board connected to my Raspberry Pi. It works fine using the rpi_rf platform and some cheapy RF plugsockets that I previously managed to get the codes for, so I know the transmitter works.

I have got the transmitter just about working (just on/off) with the one lightwaverf dimmer that I have using the python script from here: https://github.com/roberttidey/LightwaveRF - this does however require pigpiod to be running on the raspberry pi so I’m not entirely sure that this could be written as a platform for HA. However I’m pretty sure it could be set up as a command line switch without too much trouble. Dimming might be more tricky!

you could try to use pilight:

Hi

Do you mind sharing your project (step by step) please as I want to setup something similar to yours?

Thanks.

I too really hope that Hass can fully support Lightwaverf nateively in the future, be it via rfxtrx or their wifi link.

Lightwaverf is the missing link for controlling certain light fixtures in my home that Philips Hue can’t do, and their integrated 3-pin UK single or double sockets are just what I need when a bulky adapater won’t fit. Their product range is impressive too, with so much potential for home automation with Hass. https://lightwaverf.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Consumer-brochure-2016.pdf

Ive looked into their wifi link and a rfxtrx module as both are around £80, but neither seem to be fully supported in Hass. I guess the wifi link would be better to use due to their documented API? https://api.lightwaverf.com

I am a newbie to Home Assistant and am just getting to grips with its power. I am running hassio on a Raspberry Pi 3. I have integrated my lightwaverf equipment using IFTTT and the lightwaverf link.

It works. It is slow, it takes between 3 and 5 seconds for a z-wave door switch to turn on a lamp.

Not stunning performance but it is possible without too much knowledge.

All,

I’ve had lightwaverf working with hass for some years now. I just stumbled across this post. I’d be happy to share the code if you’re all still interested. Let me know.

C

2 Likes

I’m a total newbie with HA, but like others have said here, my goal is to get my lightwaverf working on it if possible. All my lightwave stuff is the pre 2017 (not the new clever things).
Any clues on how to get this going?

All my lightwave kit is old and works with my home-assistant. Havent had a chance yet but will clean up the code tomorrow and post to github.

Hope it will help you.

1 Like

@redford-jones @cameron @joseph-holland @jmb @freshtech @bachoo786 @jarrah @pfinnigan @Martin_Granger

I’ve made my integration available for you. It’s a bit crude, but should work. Any questions let me know.

If there’s demand for this then I’ll spend time making it better.

C

2 Likes

That’s fantastic!
I’ll have a look at it over the next few days. Hopefully I’ll get my head around it! I’m sure that I’ll be pestering you with a few more questions yet!
Thanks again for your time!

Right then, I promised that I’d have some questions!

I think I have got most things in place.

I’m running Hass.io on a raspberry Pi 3.

Using the Samba add on to access the directoried, I had to put the lightwave.py file into the following folder (within the config folder) which I had to create: custom_components/light/

I also think that I have linked the lightwave hub using your suggested code using SSH:
echo -ne “100,!F*p.” | nc -u -w1 my.link.ip.address 9760

As I hit enter on this the link box flashed and I hit the link button on the top.

I have also altered the device ID’s in the file to match my lights.

But no joy. Nothing is happening when I switch a light toggle in the Hassio UI. :frowning:

Is there a way to check if the lightwave link is paired with the Pi?

Also - the commented out comments within the lightwave.py file are confusing me a little as they are at odds with your Github readme. in the file -

Basically R represents a switch. D represents a dimmer on the switch, as far as I can tell

In your readme you state that R = the room in the app.

Any chance of clarification on this?

So I’m starting to get somewhere.

I read somewhere that the rooms corresponded with the roomes in the app, so that the first room at the top of the list is D1 etc. This was not the case for me.

I am using an android app called Kuffs UDP Tester (See image) which allows you to fire out messages and it also listens back on port 9761 too. I found if I fired a message in the app, then quickly turned a light on on the lightwaverf web app, it would show me the info that the web app is firing. As such, I’m able to easily confirm my rooms and devices etc.

I have managed to make a script that will fire an on message correctly, so from here I’m sure that I can automate!
An oddity is that the light switches on the HassIO UI Overview page don’t do anything. They switch on, then flic back to the off position after a few seconds. I guess this will probably not be a biggie ultimately!

Hi @Martin_Granger,

Does that mean your lightwave lights are now being controlled from the hass UI?

I wrote the python file before the readme. The readme is correct as far as I remember. R is room and D is device.

In my rooms I have a double gang dimmer. So I have R1D1 and R1D2. I have one light switch per room. That’s why I said R is a switch and D a dimmer. Same concept, I just used the wrong terminology.

On my home assistant the light switch components in the UI do stay on and I can also slide the brightness. Does it not work for you that way?

Keep me posted! I’m excited you’re trying my code.

1 Like