Linear GD00Z-4 Garage Door Opener Troubleshooting

I thought I would post this here because I had a lot of trouble getting my GoControl GD00Z-4 Z-Wave devices to work with Home Assistant on my GoControl HUSBZB-1 USB Z-Wave controller. I am on Home Assistant .114.2.

First off; I originally had the Z-Wave Garage Door Openers connected to Smart Things. I had removed them SmartThings, but then the problems started as the GD00Z-4 garage door openers were not getting recognized by Home Assistant.

Here’s what I did to get them paired up:
1.) Open the file editor program in Home Assistant (install if you dont have it yet) and open Options.xml. Edit the "<Option name=“NetworkKey” value=“0x…” with your Z-Wave Key and remove the comment code at the beginning to activate it. Reboot Home Assistant
2.) Bring the GD00Z-4 close to your Home Assistant device (Raspberry Pi 4B in my case). Plug it in. Wait for Home Assistant to finish booting your Z-Wave network (takes a while when you have a lot of devices).
2.) Go into the Hone Assistant Z-Wave Integration and press Remove Node. Press the button on the side of the GD00Z-4. You ‘should’ hear a beep then a long beep shortly after indicating it has been excluded.
3.) Press Cancel Command in the Z-Wave Integration (may or may not be necessary).
4.) Press and Hold the button on the GD00Z-4 garage door controller for ~5 seconds until it beeps. Let go and wait a minute or two until it is reset and working again.
5.) Press the button on the GD00Z-4 garage door opener 5 times until you hear it do a factory reset (a beep followed by a long beep if I recall).
6.) Now back in Home Assistant ZWave Integration, click on Add Node Secure, then press the button on the GD00Z-4 garage door controller. The GD00Z-4 will beep, then after a short while it will likely beep 3 or so times. Immediately press the button again if it hasn’t shown up in the nodes list yet.

If your experience is like mine, the second time you press the button, it will immediately show up in the nodes list. Wait for it to say Complete, indicating it is paired before you exist the Z-Wave Integration.

This worked for me on both of my GD00Z-4 controllers that were not cooperating with being added to the Z-Wave Integration. I may have over0complicated things, but I could not get them to pair at all after an hour or two of pulling my hair out…

Once they are added, hook them up to your garage door openers and open the doors using the your normal opener (ie: wall button), then use Home Assistant to close them. They should now open and close from Home Assistant! :smiley:

Best of luck. This was my experience and hopefully this article saves others a lot of frustration and hair.

2 Likes

So, the GD00z-4 seems to pair, but I don’t have any entities. I created a fresh HASS-IO Pi and started with the Wave devices so that is the only thing in the overview. All my lights and switches seem to show up, but no switch or sensor for the opener.

Thoughts?

I went though two different controllers from them. Both stopped working. One after 3 months, the other after 6 months. I ended up creating my own using a zwave switched outlet, and a relay.

This worked perfectly for me.

I just want to add one thing that I got tripped up on. I set up my Z-Wave integration via the UI and let it automatically generate a network key, so I did not know how to get my key for step one.

Thanks to this post I learned the key is stored here:

/config/.storage/core.config_entries

I’m running Home Assistant on a RaspberryPi 4. I used the Samba Share add-on to access the files on my PC. I opened the core.config_entries file in Notepad and searched for ‘NetworkKey’. I copied the key and finished the above instructions.

@jd2121 fix worked for me! Much appreciated!

Unfortunately, I believe the relay is bad as the door wont open (even tho it beeps like it’s about to).

1 Like

thank you worked for me took me a few times i think i was messing up but i got it finally whoo hooo!