LinknLink "presence" sensor issues

I got one of these LinknLink presence sensors after seeing a nice review about it on a Smart home youtube channel, but I have to say, so far these things are pretty bad. I’m not sure if the issue is the way I have it set up or if this is just how they all are.

Using the official app I can be sitting right in front of it and it will say I’m not there, that makes sense if it was a PIR sensor, but I thought these were mmwave. With no way to adjust the sensitivity I can’t figure out how to get it to stop loosing track of me being 2 feet away from it.

Also it seems to lag bad. In the app it can be a 3-5 second delay, but using modbus to get the data in to home assistant it’s more like a 15+ second delay.

Has anyone figure out how to better work with these units?

1 Like

Got mine today and set them up and am having the same issues, mostly lag, but also lots of false alarms. With NO ONE in the house the one I was testing kept triggering in an empty room. I am ‘fairly’ sure there are no poltergeist in the house, using modbus as well. Also kind of sucky that modbus doesn’t publish the sensors as ‘devices’ with entities, instead of just individual entities with no device, (unless I didn’t do it right). Sitting at my desk I keep getting triggered for state change from away to here to away to here with it literally 1 foot from me.

I’m sending mine back to Amazon for a refund.
As-is they aren’t worth even the 17 bucks and change I paid each for them.

2 Likes

Is there any misunderstanding as they don’t advertise “presence” but just a motion sensor. But the advantage comparing with PIR is the signal penetration.

About the delay… I have to say… if you try other products you may also have delays. Delay comes from many network factors and it is very hard to say which causes the delay. I can prove you when I use Modbus software to read the data the delay is only 2 seconds

Is there a typo in your sentence? Everywhere on the product listing it is described as a “human presence sensor” that uses “radar technology” to detect even “slight movement”

The wording they use is causing many people to draw the false conclusion that it is a human presence sensor that uses mmWave radar detection. I’d be returning it too if the box hadn’t gotten thrown out in the recycling by accident.

As for responsiveness, how are you communicating with it? When I use my modbus software to read the addresses it won’t even respond, though maybe it only allows a single TCP connection that is used by Home Assistant.

When I use home assistant it’s at minimum a 10 second delay. All other devices on my network, including an actual presence sensor connected to an ESP32 responds within a second.

1 Like

Just to clarify, I’m not trying to accuse them of being deceptive or intentionally misleading. I’m just saying the wording was poorly chosen and has clearly resulted in many people drawing the wrong conclusion. If when I purchased this the wording had made it clear that it was only a fancier motion sensor and not a human presence detector, I might be satisfied with the options it was providing, though I would still find it’s responsiveness over modbus insufficient.

For the delay reading Modbus, have you checked the “scan_interval” which is configurable and maybe you can try to set it “1” (as this is an integer 1 is the minimal but 1s is quite fast enough for me).

By the way, yes it only allows a single TCP connection with modbus. Maybe you will be able to connect 2 but you may get false reading.

This is from LinknLink’s update on Facebook might be useful for everyone:

You can utilize the YAML script in Home Assistant to retrieve data from LinknLink sensors.

(1) Obtain the device’s IP address from the LinknLink App (navigate to the device page, click “…” and then select “Modbus”), and substitute it with your own.
(2) The “scan_interval” parameter is an integer. A value of 1 signifies reading data every second. Feel free to modify it to a value that best suits your requirements.
(3) Each sensor device is only allowed to have a single Modbus TCP connection.

modbus:

• name: linknlink_ehub
    type: tcp
    host: 192.168.2.104
    port: 502
    sensors:
    • name: sensor_temperature
      address: 300
      scale: 0.01
      unit_of_measurement: ‘°C’
      scan_interval: 1
    • name: sensor_humidity
      address: 316
      unit_of_measurement: ‘%’
    • name: sensor_motion
      address: 802
    • name: sensor_timeoflastircodesend
      address: 2001
      data_type: uint32
      modbus:
  • name: linknlink_motion
    sensors:
    • name: sensor_motion
      modbus:
  • name: linknlink_eths
    sensors:
    • name: sensor_temperature
      address: 300
      unit_of_measurement: ‘°C’
    • name: sensor_humidity
      address: 316
      unit_of_measurement: ‘%’
1 Like

The scan interval didn’t help, but a firmware update did seem to help. Also I had left in an “unlocked” state, but pulling my linknlink app today I see it’s locked again, which is interesting. I wonder if it does updates in the background as well.

I’m now getting a response in the 1-3 second range over modbus which is 100% acceptable, though it seems like modbus communications randomly drop off, especially when I’m looking at something in the linknlink app, which is less acceptable.

for my configuration with the eMotion I went with:

modbus:
  - name: garage_motion
    host: [My_ip_address]
    sensors:
      - name: garage_motion
        unique_id: garage_motion
      - name: garage_NoPerson_time
        unique_id: garage_noperson_time
        address: 832

Other fun Modbus addresses I’ve found

0-2 - Hexadecimal Mac address
8 - Unsure but has data
9 - Unsure but has data
29 - Firmware version
1300 and following - name of access point stored as text.  Each register holds two characters.  I'm not sure what the last address it uses is, probably 1331 which would give it 32 addresses for a max AP name length of 64 characters.
1332 and following - password for wifi stored as plain text.  Each register holds two characters (this really should be hashed if anyone from LinknLink reads this threads, storing the password as plain text is a major no-no)
4 Likes

Does anyone know if it’s possible to set the ‘No Person Delay’ via HA through the config settings? Albeit, not a true mm wave detection unit as I expected compared to the higher end ones. This does detect slight movements better than a PIR and if the No Person Delay is reasonably high enough maintains a better presence rating on a per room basis than most I’ve tested so far…and no batteries to replace, but as for my question. If this could be manipulated without using their app, that would be the icing on the cake for me.

UPDATE: False positives are extremely high and so far useless to me. In between the 2 detected areas at the beginning and the end. There was no one present and door to room was closed off…