LMS Controls - Google Home / Home Assistant Voice Command for Squeezebox Players

Hi @ynot given Google has deprecated Conversational Actions in Google Assistant and will be sun-setting that functionality in June 2023, where does that leave us for voice-enabling the LMS?

See Conversational Actions sunset overview  |  CA sunset  |  Google Developers

If I read the announcements correctly, it looks like your nice work on the better integration of LMS and the sleek UI for lovelace will all still work, but the GA → DialogFlow integration is going to get killed.

Any thoughts on what can be done instead? Googles Media Actions stuff looks interesting, but is obviously aimed at the likes of Spotify, Netflix or Paramount, not the likes of us, even if I wanted to tell Google what media I own.
Just using the standard Smart Home integration that is built into GA doesn’t look like it would work well with LMS - the devices/traits aren’t a good fit.
The only thing that maybe allows us to do something similar might be the App Actions? Any thoughts?

hi Everyone,

I’ve been trying to get this working for a few days, but I’m struggling with getting Dialogflow linked to Google Assistant.
The “try it now” bits work, but I can’t get “OK google talk to LMS Controls” working yet.
First issue I found (and have now resolved) is that the “Integrations” tab only exists under the “Global US” Region. i had created my Dialogflow under EU as that is where I am located.

now I’ve migrated the agent to Global US I have the “Integrations” option, but it’s not obvious how to enable GA. The page tries to push you towards “Actions Builder” instead?

Any advice greatly appreciated. I also hope YNOT or another developer will look into an alternative to Conversational Actions, as it would be a shame to lose the voice facility.

Thanks!

hello,
I have a scenario that launches a squeezebox at a certain time and later syncs other squeezeboxes. but it regularly happens that the first squeezebox pauses without my intervention. have you ever had this? how to enable logs to see what is going on? Thanks

This looks very cool.
I wonder, with local voice control available now, whether this could be detached from external services and make use of the HA voice assistant?

I have been trying to somehow get the searching working (and have failed) and maybe some of your shell scripts could be the answer. Have never worked with them so I would have to figure out how to pass on some sentences with templates i.e. “Play One by Metallica in Living Room” to your search shell script.

Cheers,
Merc

Hi all,
Is the lms controls still working for you?
I installed it, adjusted several settings to new syntax in the integrations and got it working.
I can toggle shuffle and repeat and control volume on my players. The searching for songs, artist and albums is not working.

Have not found the reason yet. Once the text search is working we could try to use voice assistant.

Cheers

Merc

I haven’t been using this for quite sometime, changes in Dialogflow and Home Assistant made it difficult to keep up with for a while. As far as I know the query utilities should still work. The easiest way to check is to open a terminal and run the scripts directly and see the results being returned.

This is outlined in the following document: https://github.com/ynot123/LMS_Controls/blob/f742ea608899896b85cc85ba50693e47894f22b7/troubleshooting.md

Hi ynot,
Thanks I will give this a try.
What do you think of the idea to drop dialogflow and use home assistant’s voice control?
I think it’s a great project and you have put a lot of cool stuff in there. Would be a shame to let it die.

Cheers
Merc

I found the error.
Because I did not plan to use the dialogflow approach I did not enter any URL for it. This caused a time out when trying to get to DuckDNS.
So now I changed this to a URL I am using via Cloudflare and it works!

Will see if I can get rid of the whole URL somehow but at least it does the job. Now I can give it a try with the HA voice assistant.

Agreed, hate to see it go. Worked quite well with Dialogflow and if you think HA voice assistant is up to the task, then yes, would certainly be a could addition / mod. Let me kow how you make out unfortunately I dont have much free time for this currently. Feel free to fork the project on Github and make any modifications neccessary. Good luck.

I don’t have the time to dig into this and have decided to remove LMS controls from my setup for now.
Unfortunately now I am stuck with loads of automations that apparently cannot be deleted in the GUI,

How can I get rid ff them?

Thanks,
Merc