Local realtime person detection for RTSP cameras

Curious

Is there benefit of using frigate vs Camera with embedded AI?
Or do you get effectively same result

About hw decodingā€¦ Iā€™m trying to use face recogniction but as Frigate is sending sub-stream (no decoding/detect on main-stream) snapshots to MQTT iā€™m getting kind of odd results.
When using MAIN stream my CPU freaks out and Frigate become instable.

Iā€™m using my HA on my NUC with a Intel i5 CPU.

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'model name' | uniq
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500T CPU @ 2.50Ghz

My settings in ffmpeg is as follows:

ffmpeg:
  hwaccel_args:
    - -hwaccel
    - vaapi
    - '-hwaccel_device'
    - /dev/dri/renderD128
    - '-hwaccel_output_format'
    - yuv420p

Any recommendations for ffmpeg?

I was thinking about the cameras with embedded AIs this week as well. However realized Frigate NVR works with pretty much any camera that can stream video via mpeg. Cameras with embedded AI are purpose bought for a location, more expensive, and may need to write your own integration of rest calls to get any info from them. I think each has their place, but right now Frigate is more approachable for the average person who already has cameras set up. Iā€™d be more apt to use normal cameras outside and around the property with Frigate, and maybe an indoor camera or two with AI.

1 Like

Itā€™s unlikely you will be able to integrate them as nicely into homeassistant. Maybe one day there will be open source firmware for AI cameras. Also, by performing AI in one centralized location, you donā€™t need the extra hardware duplicated on each camera itself.

2 Likes

Hi guys.
I donā€™t know Docker well, maybe you can help ā€¦
Is it possible to change the storage path for snapshots? Instead of / media / frigate / recordings -
/home / frigate / recordings in
into an additional hard drive? sdb4 to the Home directory.
System: Debian / hassio (docker) / Home Assistant Add-on: Frigate NVR
Sorry for the bad english.

What are you using for face recognition? :>

Normally you can just bind mount the folder where you want

-v /home/frigate/recordings:/media/frigate/recordings

I guess itā€™s now encouraged to use ā€œmountā€ instead ov ā€œ-vā€ but you both current should work Iā€™d imagine

Iā€™d also like to know if anyone has gotten google coral to work on HassOS VM installation on a NUC!

Hi, i have few hikvision AI camera running with frigate. U just cant compare them with frigate . Frigate is miles ahead compared to built in AI camera in term of accuracy, integration, flexibility and cost.

2 Likes

Hi there,

I am having issue with frigate: it was running fine, run a dist-upgrade and now I canā€™t start anymore frigate.
This is what I get when I try

sudo docker-compose up
Starting frigate ... error

ERROR: for frigate  Cannot start service frigate: OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:380: starting container process caused: process_linux.go:545: container init caused: Running hook #0:: error running hook: exit status 127, stdout: , stderr: Inconsistency detected by ld.so: ../sysdeps/x86_64/dl-machine.h: 538: elf_machine_rela_relative: Assertion `ELFW(R_TYPE) (reloc->r_info) == R_X86_64_RELATIVE' failed!: unknown

ERROR: for frigate  Cannot start service frigate: OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:380: starting container process caused: process_linux.go:545: container init caused: Running hook #0:: error running hook: exit status 127, stdout: , stderr: Inconsistency detected by ld.so: ../sysdeps/x86_64/dl-machine.h: 538: elf_machine_rela_relative: Assertion `ELFW(R_TYPE) (reloc->r_info) == R_X86_64_RELATIVE' failed!: unknown
ERROR: Encountered errors while bringing up the project.

do you have any hint?

I`m running 4 cams ( 3 are 1080p ) and inference is 9ms on t430

Sweet, thanks for the info exactly what I needed to hear! Grabbing a Coral is the next step. Should be able to add in my other two 1080p cameras no problem.

Wonder what else these t430s would be good for, been highly impressed running Home Assistant OS on it for the last day.

I spent the last 3 days trying to make that work and could not get it to work on a ProxMox host. Hour and hoursā€¦ I just moved Frigate to a docker container running on a different NUC where my USB coral devices is easy to pass through to the container.

1 Like

Just upgraded to Home Assistant 2021.6.2 and the Frigate integration is no longer working. Home Assistant says it canā€™t load it. Iā€™ll delete it and re-add it but just curious if anyone else experienced this?

Hunch would be youā€™re not running the latest Frigate integration addon - there were some changes that required a version key, otherwise loading is prevented.

" * Updates for HA 2021.6 compatibility"

2 Likes

Yup that is probably it then. Iā€™ll reinstall it today. Thanks!

Hi,

please ss there any possibility to check if the camera is online a itā€™s streaming? Could Frigate do this via MQTT? I need to send a notification if the connection to a network camera is lost (someone cut a wire, etc.)

Thank you.

As my frigate ā€œcrashesā€ without warning I made a automation when coral inference sensor is ā€œunavailableā€

Iā€™ve done it like thisā€¦ You should be abale to change the sensor to camera FPS detection easy.

alias: 'Frigate Notify if down '
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: sensor.coral1_inference_speed
    to: unavailable
    for: '00:02:00'
condition: []
action:
  - service: notify.mobile_app_sm_g998b
    data:
  - delay:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 1
      seconds: 0
      milliseconds: 0
  - service: hassio.addon_restart
    data:
      addon: ccab4aaf_frigate
  - service: notify.mobile_app_sm_g998b
    data:
mode: single
1 Like

Iā€™m using the double-take as frontend for my Face detectionā€¦

And CompreFace face recognition as a docker. Its not the best choice as it not that accurate. :frowning:

iā€™m thinking of getting one from ebay
Quick question, is the internal storage upgradeable?
Canā€™t really find much detail for t430