Local speaker?

Currently, I have Alexa playing a chime sound any time an external door is opened. This obviously won’t work if my internet goes down. Is there a cheap-ish replacement for something like this?

Very cheep(LOL cheap) would be an RTTTL passive buzzer with ESPhome.

Well, maybe a little less harsh than a buzzer? Maybe something that I can quickly pipe a simple mp3 to?

RTTTL can play tunes. It sounds like 1980’s 8bit computers. If your a big fan of the C64 its for you. Check them out on youtube.

1 Like

I use raspberry pi’s with a usb speaker (headless) with kodi running. I use MaryTTS running in a docker container to speak my notifications. All self contained and no internet needed.

In your case, just find a sound that you would like played and have that in the kodi media library and play that sound or ‘song’ for the door open automation.

1 Like

If your handy with esp2866 and soldering have a look at this, I made a few. They work great for a doorbell and general notifications.

1 Like

My choice is a mini USB-speaker with DAC built-in, with the price of about $3.5. The most important issue is the simplicity.
If your ha host has built-in sound card, you may even choice a cheaper speaker under $2.
With this kind of speakers, you also could have tts notifications and music sounds, rather than the only boring chime.

What about Frenck’s doorbell esphome?

1 Like

So I have this setup. Is there a way to control the volume? It’s very loud.

Is it possible to use a 3.5 speaker ?
I have a HA Blue.

I dont think there is a way to do it through software. You can use a 10k pot for adj volume or a resistor for a fixed volume level. Could you share the speaker your using? I’ve been looking for a loud rtttl speaker.

Don’t think you could do it by software. Was going to suggest a resistor but @Mikefila got to it first. Alternative is to put some blutac or card over end of RTTTL.

This one.

1 Like

Sure, of course.