Login attempt failed warnings periodically showing up

Hi,

Fairly often (daily) now I find there is a failed login attempt message showing up in my Home Assistant as a separate card. It only began recently after upgrading to v77 (?) where I first got the new auth system.

I’m 99% sure it’s nothing malicious because the IP of the failed login is always my home public IP or the IP of my cell provider, so I suspect it might be something like a login session that is stuck or something like that. Because it’s my cell provider showing up, I assume it’s something to do with my phone (or my wife’s phone on the same provider).

Trouble is I’m not sure what to do. On my phone I’m logged in using the HA app, have logged in since the new auth and it’s all ok…

Is this is a known issue? If not I guess I should try clearing browser cache etc on my phone and see if that clears it?

a few questions, do you have iPhones with the HA app on it?
I have the same issue with my iphone and had to bring legacy support back to avoid being ip_banned
Check this post from the beta iOS testing:

I’m actually waiting until the new app comes up so I can disable legacy support.

Yeah, both using iPhones with the HA app. So my cell provider IP is likely to get banned? :persevere:

Only if you have setup ip_ban, and you can always remove the banned ip addresses later

1 Like

I’m still getting this, daily (multiple times)… I still cant work out what is causing it.

For what it’s worth I finally got this to stop showing up. Commented out every reference to my API password, cleared and re-saved the settings in iOS app to not use the legacy auth, and added this to my configuration.yaml to only allow the new auth style.

homeassistant:
    auth_providers:
     - type: homeassistant