Logitech harmony command as a switch

@casperse glad you got it all working and @petro was able to help. Sorry I had been away all day and couldn’t jump in but looks like you are up and running.

I find I don’t use the input_select ever since Lovelace because the button cards do a better job. I also combine them with conditional cards to only show when the tv is on or if the room sensors are active. Just a few ideas for you. Let me know if you’re interested and I can post my lovelace code.

@Jer78 Yes I would be very happy to also look at your setup!

I am so happy the Google assistant now finally understand “Turn on TV” as a switch through Harmony, the native Harmony link never worked and only supported one HUB, and now I keep getting synch. errors even if I removed the link - What a Sh*tty way of doing a commercial integration

Anyway some quick question to both of you, would help me do things the right way :wink:

• How do you control voice commands like sound levels on your amplifier?

• Through Harmony remote as a switch? level 10, 20,30…

• I can see that @petro have a HA supported receiver, and I believe I also might have one a “Pioneer” would that then be able to be controlled directly?

• What about pause, Play, Mute do you have all of these as specific switch for each Harmony command? do they need to be linked to a specific activity?

• I have been putting off Sonos integration for a very long time (I know @Jer78 have had allot of experience with that) so far I have been waiting for Sonos to come through with their voice integration for all platform (I am not a fan of IFTTT so I really don’t want to go down that road) would just Mute all Sonos speakers and Stop all playback be simple to do?

Oh another separate thing (For a separate thread) my configuration file is all in one file and it is truly getting really big. I hesitate to split it up in the already made sections, because I feel I would lack the big picture. Best option would be to put anything related to a specific task in one file “!include harmony.yaml” , but I don’t see that option available I would end up with pieces of code in multiple files like scripts, switch, automation, configuration right?

Again thanks for your valuable input spending your time to help me out, much appreciated :+1:

I don’t know about google assistant but i’ll answer these as if you are using alexa.

I used haaska, but currently I use nothing. You could fake out a volume slider as a template light and use alexa that way. I helped a guy do that here, but the code would be different for the level_template and set_level sections.

Pretty much you would treat it like a light: “Alexa, turn on Volume to 50%”.

That depends, can this component be used with your receiver? If yes, then use this.

Play would be best handled as a script, even pause. But it still won’t be phonetic because you’d have to treat it like a light or switch. The main issue here is that alexa doesn’t support these commands. The play, pause, and change volume all directly change alexa’s media (I’d expect the same behavior from GA).

Or the simplest and best solution… just use the proper buttons on the Harmony remote, the always work first time every time, don’t need to shout to compete when you have the volume to loud, don’t get Alexa doing random things because she couldn’t hear what you said or was more interested in following whatever was said on the telly than you etc etc.

Voice commands are great for a lot of things, as are screen based remotes, but for remote media consumption you still can’t beat a real button :slight_smile:

1 Like

What if he has no arms?

1 Like

I think he’d be after doing more than just turning the volume up in that case :smile:

1 Like

@casperse

Here’s the part of my lovelace config that shows controls for the basement harmony when I’m around. Note: I’m using the custom button card as it has more functionality than the newly added lovelace one that got added in 0.81. Just search the forum for it to install the custom file.

######################################################################################################
#                      BASEMENT DYNAMIC CONTROLS                                                     #
######################################################################################################
        - type: conditional
          conditions:
            - entity: input_boolean.home_scene
              state: "on"
            - entity: binary_sensor.display_basement_dynamic_controls
              state: "on"
          card:
            type: vertical-stack
            cards:
              - type: entities
                show_header_toggle: false
                title: Basement
                entities:
                  - entity: input_number.denon_volume
                  - entity: group.basement_ceiling
                    icon: mdi:lightbulb
                  - entity: light.basement_floor_lamp
                    icon: mdi:floor-lamp
              - type: horizontal-stack
                cards:
                  - type: "custom:button-card"
                    entity: switch.media_center
                    icon: mdi:apple
                    color_type: card
                    color: var(--primary-color) #cool green color rgb(223, 255, 97)
                    color_off: var(--dark-background-color)
                    entity: switch.fire_tv_basement
                    icon: mdi:amazon
                    entity: switch.xbox
                    icon: mdi:xbox
                    entity: switch.wii_u
                    icon: mdi:wiiu

I do have a template binary sensor that determines whether it should display or not based on an Ecobee sensor and the remote activity, here’s that portion of it:

display_basement_dynamic_controls:
    entity_id:
      - binary_sensor.basement_occupancy
      - remote.basement
    value_template: >-
      {% set occupancy = states.binary_sensor.basement_occupancy.state %}
      {% set remote = states.remote.basement.state %}
      {% if occupancy == "on" or remote == "on" %}true
      {% else %}false
      {% endif %}