Looking for compatible water heater

Hey everyone,

I’m looking for an electric water heater in the 120-150l range that is generally available in Europe and has built in wifi as well as already having HA integration. I need to integrate this with a solar panel/battery setup, and I’m having a hard time sifting through the immense variety of available appliances, most of which seem to be well and truly stuck in the stone age.
Could anyone please point me in the right direction ?

Thanks,

Pete

This might be a bit of a different approach. I use a Paladin hot water diverter that heats my hot water with surplus solar energy. See: https://www.paladinsolarcontroller.com.au/
It is based on the work by Robin Emley in the UK using an energy bucket concept. He has a DIY approach. See: Mk2PVRouter - About

So we use a normal storage Hot Water Heater. We replaced the factory 70 deg C thermostat with an 80 deg C one. (That cost about AUD $40). The Paladin then has accurate control over water temp via a probe inserted on the heater skin beside the thermostat. The maximum temp is 73 deg c. The Paladin does not by default have any way of sending you the data but they did provide me with instructions on how to tap into an available serial port feed on the device. I decided instead to add a seperate energy meter (from IamMeter) to measure the energy used to heat hot water. I added another temperature probe at the thermostat connected to a Shelly UNI. The Uni is only about 0.1 deg different to the Paladin.

For more info about my system I posted up here Hot water Solar diversion and Iammeter - Community - IAMMETER
We’ve only had this running for a month in the middle of our (wet) winter. The Paladin tops up from the grid to keep a minimum 40 deg C. So far we have found this is fine for us even on zero solar days but the Paladin has some other settings to keep the water a bit hotter than this if you need it.

Thanks Rod. I’m checking it out.

Pete

Not sure if this would work in Europe but I use this here in the UK. Has an API based on UDP and integrates with HA via node red.

I’m thinking of using a Shelly Pro in the fusebox as a replacement for the day/night selector contactor. unfortunately i don’t know what the programming possibilities for this thing are.
It seems I have too much to learn and too little time.

Pete