Looking for help understanding room presence - can I use ESP32 and iOS devices?

Hey y’all, I’m trying to wrap my head around how room presence works. From what I can tell, the HA official path is to use mqtt_room which in turn can use a few different ‘backends’.

I’m in the process of deploying several esphome nodes on ESP 32 boards.

Here’s my questions:

1. How’s it work? Do you have to have a sensor in every room? And, if so, let’s say I’m sitting near more than one sensor - how’s it know which room I’m in?

2. can it “triangulate”? Like can you have fewer sensors than rooms and somehow map the signals? This has been my dream, but I don’t see anything to suggest this is how it works or how to set it up.

3. iOS - am I just SOL? Or can I use apple iPhones and watches? The internet seems mixed.

4. can I use mqtt_room on the devices I deploy with esphome? I can’t find anything definitive. I supposed buying a dedicated ESP 32 device for each room isn’t prohibitively expensive but I’d prefer not to if I don’t have to (see also my question about triangulating with fewer sensors than rooms)

Sorry if this is all kinda basic. I’m really grateful for any thoughts or insights y’all have.

Bluetooth presence is capable of using the relative signal strength to determine which device you are closer to.

thanks! In my case, my living room and tv room are next to each other. If I put a sensor in the living room, can it know I’m in the TV room based on distance away?

You can calibrate some presence systems, like this one: