Lost and frustrated... Aeotec Z-Wave Stick via USB=>IP (Startech) in Windows VM (Hyper-V) venv or Docker?

At some point adding WiFi devices becomes an issue. Unless you have multiple access points, you likely end up needing to replace your WiFi setup. One, to handle the increased load and two, to get reliable coverage throughout your home. Z-Wave gets it’s strength with it’s device to device mesh. The more you add the better.

1 Like

I use ankuoo switches.

They work great and were cheap but need app for setup. I worry about day app not available in app store then I must reverse engineering switch to set WiFi ssid. This is not product for 20yr use case. I feel ZWave more better here. WiFi bulb would be different and this I think better use case.

Also these require vlan to separate and block WAN else have huge security risk. For me no biggie but cannot recommend to other non tech person without need for tech support.

You bring up a great point… I actually have a box of goodies I haven’t yet played with bought with the specific purpose of reprogramming my Sonoff in-line switches.

From what I’ve read, there are enough similarities in base code between the various aftermarket esp8266 firmwares that it’s possible in most cases to OTA upgrade from one firmware to another, even across authors (I’m sure there are exceptions).

Having said that, could a fella not make a few decent coins flashing a basic aftermarket firmware to otherwise stock devices and then selling them on eBay, etc? Building a jig with pogo pins to flash 3 or 4 devices seems silly, but building the same rig to flash 300-400 devices seems worthwhile. Of course, with that type of volume one could simply order them that way from the manufacturer, no? (wheels turning)

Understood, and agree… but if they are esp8266 based devices, one would either only use the app for initial programming, or never use the app because the devices are flashed with alternate firmware when (before?) they arrive, correct? All the aftermarket firmwares use a web portal on the device to configure…

Totally. But I’ll submit that unless you’re in a college dorm room or efficiency apartment (flat), you probably could use a WiFi upgrade anyway.

Since I’m in the SOHO service business, I see this all the time. Honestly, most folks just don’t know that WiFi can be any better than what the ISP provides on their all-in-one-gateway device. Down to the person, they are all amazed and ecstatic that WiFi coverage is so great when I complete the install.

Another great point which offers a segway into the rest of my recommended setup for my SOHO customers. Generally, ISPs as a rule provide the cheapest, crappiest equipment they can source while still being able to charge you for service. I explain this to every customer. For cable ISPs in the US, I can generally use a customer supplied modem, which doesn’t have routing or WiFi built in, and is already in “bridge mode” from the factory. So I generally recommend at least three pieces of equipment:

1. Customer purchased modem
  2. Ethernet only router (prosumer / commercial grade)
  3. One or more dedicated WiFi APs depending on desired coverage and saturation

This type of setup is of course a lot more stable, flexible, etc. as well as offering granularity of control to the admin (me).

Honestly, most of my customers are doing well just to use the stuff… they aren’t expected to program it. Do you realize how many people actually covered the display on their VCR to hide the blinking 12:00 because they didn’t know how to set the time on the darned thing? People haven’t changed much, and a lot of those customers were in their 30’s when they taped over the display, and are now in their 50’s and 60’s and still need help from guys like us. I’m pretty sure I’ve just described my business model, actually…