Lost contact with all devices after changing USB port

Hello.

Setup:
ZigBee2MQTT
Sonoff USB ZigBee stick (TI CC2652P + CP2102N)

I recently moved my HASSOS from SD Card to SSD. The SSD is now using the USB port that the Sonoff stick originally was plugged into. After moving the stick to a new USB port and restarting HA I have now lost contact with all my ZigBee devices. Network key etc. is identical. The path so the USB stick has not changed; it is still /dev/ttyUSB0. What is even stranger is that two new ZigBee devices that I do not own, have shown up in the list… Whenever I try to send a command or read an attribute from a device I get ‘No network route’ (205))’. Have tried turning all devices off by removing power from them. Could changing the USB port account for this effect?

Have you tried using /dev/serial/by-id/ ?

https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/guide/configuration/adapter-settings.html

Do you use an USB extension cable ?

No, but the interference of a SSD in an USB 3 port could.

1 Like

Tried both the suggestions above:

1. Using the by-id device path did not help.
  2. Trying a different USB port or and extension cable did not help.

Since I moved to a new disk I did the standard backup, write new image, and the restore from backup on the HA startup screen. I have compared the coordinator_backup.json file from the old SD card with the new one, and they match. Is there anything that could have been lost in the config that could account for this?

Happenned to me before when I was changing stuff. Just look up the new address in

Settings → Hardware → All Hardware → find the device → copy path
and update the serial port zigbee2mqtt addon with the path

Thanks. Yes, I verified the path and it has been correct all along. There is something else going on here…

So after walking back all hardware changes I did, it turns out that this is in fact an interference issue. The USB extension cable I used was not long enough or not shielded well enough. When it was clear that interference was the issue I tried an even longer cable, and some tin foil tricks and now the network is back. Thanks to everyone that replied and offered suggestions. Now I have to find a good shielded cable to use.

1 Like

Good you got it fixed!

I was following this thread because of being curious for the cause of your problem.
@francisp was spot on! :+1:

A zigbee network can work really well but it’s important to set it up the right way.
To be honest, I started with zigbee without much knowledge and you learn as you go, sometimes the hard way when a lot of your smart devices don’t work anymore.

I don’t know if you have seen this but it’s advisable to read for anyone new to zigbee:
Guide for Zigbee interference avoidance and network range/coverage optimization

Maybe it’s not bad to add that link to your OP or the solution so this thread becomes even more interesting for anybody with a similar problem.

For completeness I would also like to add that it was not USB interference itself that was the issue. I added an X825 V2.0 SSD shield to the PI, but the issue was not resolved until I actually removed that board altogether. Even having it just provide power to the Pi was enough to break ZigBee when the ZigBee adapter was plugged into the Pi USB port. I removed the drive, the USB connector, but that did not help. Just having the shield connected caused the problem.

As mentioned, more recommend (and IMHO better) solutions here → Guide for Zigbee interference avoidance and network range/coverage optimization