Lovelace: Custom Hue Slider

only recently did I notice the slider you modded before doesnt work anymore, and getting back to this thread, discovered your post on the native setting…

however, doing

- type: custom:slider-entity-row
        entity: light.dining_corner
        colorize: true
#         card_mod:
#           style:
#             ha-slider$ paper-progress$: |
#               div#progressContainer {
#                 background-image: linear-gradient(to right,red,yellow,green,cyan,blue,magenta,red);
#                 --paper-progress-active-color: none;
#               }

doesnt do anything… Just the regular slider.

this is a Hue color bulb supporting all features, so what am I missing?

or would we find another way of getting back those colorized sliders with card_mod after all?

Hi @Mariusthvdb, Please see an additional discussion about this with Thomas here. I have yet to upgrade to 2023.12 because of this (but will be soon) so I have not tried what he suggested to see if it works. If you do and find it works, please report back here for the benefit of others. I’ll do the same. Cheers.

do you mean in the repo? because I do think Ive read them all, also in this topic.

no more card_mod, use the native option is the final solution isnt it?

doesnt work in my cards for now, at least not on the lights I tried (the ones supporting color ofc, not the color_temp lights where colorizing seems pointless

Yeah, sadly, it seems so. I view it as a disappointing trend by those leading HA in moving us toward a product with lots of easily-managed superficial capabilities for the millions and fewer and fewer really good ones for those of us who’ve been here from the beginning. I know I’ve lost my enthusiasm and find myself skipping more and more “updates” as a result. I may move soon and am beginning to think I won’t even go to the trouble to automate the new home at this point, at least not to the current level, and perhaps not even with HA. I’ve spent thousands of dollars in switches, valves, thermostats, lights, etc. and many, many hours putting it all together here. It seems harder now to keep things working than it was learning YAML and config files and getting it all set up in the beginning. I still don’t use the UI’s automation editor - because you can’t comment your automations, for example. And that whole History thing. That loss of functionality, that I used daily, and the rather contemptuous response by those who made the change, really soured me.

I know… having a rainbow slider instead of a blue on doesn’t seem that big of a deal. It’s just part of a growing failure for me. We spend considerable time and effort building our home automation system that works for us, and it’s frustrating to watch it slowly crumble. I spent considerable time trying to figure out a workaround for this too. Perhaps the thousands of new HA users who can’t even spell “automate” will appreciate the improvement. But who knows, they’ll probably give up after they can’t get their first bulb to change colors (like Pdoff0808 and his 1-star rating on the Home Assistant “miracle” App on the Apple App store.) Are these the users those at Nabu Casa are now catering to? Hasn’t every other home automation outfit already done that and failed? Seems we’ve lost our way.

Just my view of things atm.

Hi everyone following this topic. I finally upgraded today to 2024.1.5 and, as expected, my color gradient sliders were gone. However, I implemented the changes I posted (see the post I replied to here) and IT WORKS (in case you haven’t already discovered this)! I have my RGB and Cool-Warm sliders back.

And they work on my iPhone as well, although these sliders are now very slightly longer than the normal ones (which I can live with). Someone might see if they can tweak things a bit to make them work on both, but I’m OK with not messing with it. :laughing:

Let me know if you find it doesn’t work.

I believe it would help if you posted a complete yaml of the working solution now, going back and then replacing lines is not very clear tbh.
this is still on the custom: slider-entity-row, or did you move to the core slider

btw are you sure there is no typo in that yaml ? seems an element is missing in the bottom line?

Could you by chance post the full update code and any of the edits to the YAML file? It would be really helpful

@Mariusthvdb @deprovision
Hey everyone, sorry, I did not see Marius’ reply back in Jan, but did see Jays. I am posting below the full YAML in my dashboard that generates the following ENTITIES card. It contains both the rgb color slider AND the Temp color (cool - warm) slider. The post I was referring to is #18 in this thread, Nov 23, that begins with “OK, so it looks like”. In that YAML, the last line is there to be used as a replacement for the same line in the immediately prior code to get the Temp slider instead of the RGB slider. The other code is identical, as you will see in the complete YAML block I post here. So, Marius is correct that it was bad YAML, but I left a NOTE: explaining it just above the YAML.

Here’s what it looks like:

and here’s the code:

type: vertical-stack
cards:
  - type: entities
    title: Warm
    entities:
        entity: input_number.warm_lr_accent_hue_in
        name: Hue
        card_mod:
          style:
            ha-slider$: |
              div.track::after {
                background: none; 
              }
              div.track::before {
              }
              div.track {
                background-image: linear-gradient(to right,red,yellow,green,cyan,blue,magenta,red);
                height: 10%;
                width: 80%;
                margin-left: 18px;
                margin-top: 18px;
              }
        entity: input_number.warm_lr_accent_saturation_in
        name: Saturation
        entity: input_number.warm_lr_accent_brightness_in
        name: Brightness
        entity: input_number.warm_lr_accent_color_temp_in
        name: Color Temp
        card_mod:
          style:
              }
              }
              div.track {
                background-image: linear-gradient(to right,rgb(100,180,255),rgb(255,255,255),rgb(255,136,13));
              }
      - entity: input_boolean.enable_warm_color_temp_ib
        name: Use Color Temp
  - type: entities
    title: Cool
    entities:
        entity: input_number.cool_lr_accent_hue_in
        name: Hue
        card_mod:
          style:
              }
              }
              div.track {
                background-image: linear-gradient(to right,red,yellow,green,cyan,blue,magenta,red);
              }
        entity: input_number.cool_lr_accent_saturation_in
        name: Saturation
        entity: input_number.cool_lr_accent_brightness_in
        name: Brightness
        entity: input_number.cool_lr_accent_color_temp_in
        name: Color Temp
        card_mod:
          style:
              }
              }
              div.track {
                background-image: linear-gradient(to right,rgb(100,180,255),rgb(255,255,255),rgb(255,136,13));
              }
      - entity: input_boolean.enable_cool_color_temp_ib
        name: Use Color Temp

Oh, and this is still using the custom slider-entity-row. In my tests, I don’t believe what Thomas was referring to was the same things as what I’m doing here.

Let me know if you have any trouble. Cheers.

EDIT: and if you don’t like the color scheme of the sliders, feel free to put in any colors you want for any rainbow or temp slider. I believe someone earlier on this thread found more accurate colors and posted them.

color_temp:

hue_gradient:

looking for other mods that might interfere (dont believe I have those), or maybe theme settings on sliders…

No, nothing there and the result is equally strange

color_temp:

Hue gradient:

really odd this is.

(as you can see I did a quick test whether the toggle: true interfered, but that is not it)

btw the colorize: true option Thomas added and suggest in that issue, doesnt work in any pf my configs, did anyone get that to work, and can show a working config please?

toggle: true
        entity: light.feest_lampen # light group
        entity: light.kayon # light entity

simply does

which is, as you can see, exactly nothing…

OK, let’s try this. Here is my setup currently where the YAML above works:

HA Core: 2024.1.5
Supervisor: 2024.03.0
Frontend: 20240104.0
iOS HA App: 2024.2

Also, I’m using Version 17.3.0 of slider-entity-row.js, which you can find here, not the current one. I installed this back in November, and Thomas has made two changes since that time. Perhaps the new version doesn’t work. That is the only thing I can think of that would cause it to break.

For those who don’t know, at the URL above, click the Raw button to the right above the code, and then do a Ctrl-A on the resulting page to select all the code, Ctrl-C to copy it, and paste it into a text file named slider-entity-row.js in your /config/www directory on your Pi.

Also, IIRC, I think I determined that the “colorize” option in slider-entity-row wasn’t the RGB slider, but a solid color. I may be wrong, but I could never get it to work.

Hopefully that helps. If this works for you, let me know and we can ask Thomas to see if he can tell us why the new version doesn’t work.

Cheers

finally Ive found the syntax to get colorize to work, it needs the additional attribute…
I guess its always been in the documentation, reading that now with hindsight, I see what it means, and why it never caught my eye:

But, the result is super nice:

type: entities
entities:
    entity: light.kayon
    full_row: true
    attribute: color_temp
    entity: light.kayon
    full_row: true
    attribute: hue
title: Slider entity row

its not in the documentation (at least not that I could find) but clicking the options in the UI editor and checking the yaml revealed it :wink:

no need to install older versions, just update all, and use the UI editor and select the correct attribute to colorize:

or above yaml

also working on light.groups :wink:

btw, attribute bightness is kind of cool too:

entity: light.plafond_3_wand
        name: 3 Wall
        attribute: brightness

so, definitely no more card_mod tinkering on slider-entity-row!
suppose this warrants the solution tick. I never suggest that for my own posts, but in this case, it was a revelation t myself :wink: and I hope I will fix the issue for others seeking the same

2 Likes

Woo Hoo! This is fabulous @Mariusthvdb! Thanks for working this out and posting it. I’ve marked it the SOLUTION. Maybe we can convince @thomasloven to add a few words to his readme.md to help users with these two features.

I’m going to make the change now and see how it goes. Will report back if I have any trouble. Otherwise, maybe we can put this thread to bed! :grin:

=============================

EDIT: OK, replacing the card_mod code with the option/attribute code didn’t work for me. I saw standard white sliders. So I figured maybe I needed the latest JS, so I installed it. Nah, that just broke the existing card_mod, giving me exactly what you were seeing before (see second group of sliders below). Then I thought maybe you can ONLY do this via the UI, so I went there and saw this:

That last colorize option at the bottom doesn’t even appear to me in the UI. Also, going into the code editor and entering it manually doesn’t fix it either (even with full length) as shown here:

The only thing left to do is update HA from my 2024.1.5 to 2024.3.1. Anybody know of any changes that would have made changes to this functionality?

Are you certain @Mariusthvdb that this was all you did? What version of HA are you on?

I am always up to date (HAOS and custom cards) and now even further :wink:

Running dev nightly🎉

Don’t think that has any relevance for this though . You probably have something else going on …

Btw, the sliders can be done in Ui and Yaml.

What OS are you running and which browser? I’m on Win10 and Firefox. But it doesn’t work (and looks the same) on my iPhone too. So doubt it is a FF/Win issue.

I’ve updated everything to latest as of today (not dev), still the same. I’ve reinstalled the .js as a Dashboard resource as well. Still not working. Need to determine how our systems differ.

Do you have the https://unpkg.com/[email protected]/dist/index.js?module helper also in your dashboard still?

Uhm… no idea about that unpkg helper tbh. What’s that ?? Did I have that before … :wink:

No, I have most custom resources via Hacs, and only when I edit them use the manual resource method.

Are you sure you disabled all card_mod stuff that could potentially interfere?

There is some thing that you need to be aware of though:
When using the sliders with the attributes, they can’t slide to ‘off’ anymore.
It was how I used them always so this needs some adjusting .

In that sense, it looks a bit like the tile options were we use both brighteness and color sliders (making those cards way too big for my taste.) they do make for better cards on mobile , as these sliders ha e terrible Mobile UX imho

Yes, but I figufred out the problem. Your solution ONLY works if the entity is a LIGHT, with which the Colorize option and attribute selector are shown in the UI. In my case, I am using the slider to input an Input Number, so the UI does not present that option, and the Colorize option in the YAML is completely ignored.

That’s why I could never get it to work. When I change the entity to a LIGHT, the coloring appears as you show. So if you want to use color sliders for anything but a LIGHT, you still need to resort to card_mod (for now).

So, back I go. At least now I’m updated!

A well that makes sense doesn’t it ? It actually uses the attribute it controls. A regular number won’t have an attribute color_temp or hue.

Colorizing those would be a frivolity :wink:

If you look at what I’m doing with it, it makes perfect sense. I have a complex automation that varies things over time, and I also have specific means to set color, read the current colors set manually, etc., which is why I employ input_numbers that I can use in the automation. I don’t simply set the color of my lights with a slider - that’s boring. :wink:

Also, if you set the range of the IN correctly, the slider’s function is identical to setting either hue or color temp, which is exactly what I do.

Although reverting to card-mod and the older .js brought back my previous sliders on my desktop, the updates to HA seems to have broken my iOS app. Now the sliders look like what you showed when using card-mod. That’s why I resist upgrading. Something often breaks.Oh well. I learned to live without History, I can learn to live without colored sliders too. :-/ C’est la vie

1 Like