Lovelace Fan Control Entity Row

With the latest release 2021.3.1 and the changes to the template: fan , does this component still work? I only ask because I don’t want to ugrade if it’s going to break on me…Wife doesn’t like when that happens. LOL.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Still works for me with existing template. I haven’t figured out the new templating yet but everything works just some warnings about being deprecated.

1 Like

What really sucks is that with the change in the control scheme for fans I may need to create a whole new plug-in to deal with the percentages. that way people who don’t want to upgrade can still use the existing plugin because I can’t think of a way to test which version of HA people are running.

So it will likely be easier to just create two versions.

Once I figure out what the right syntax is for everything I’ll start working on it. But no one who knows has answered any questions in the release thread yet (or anywhere else).

1 Like

@cybergrimes

Can I ask what HA version you are running (HA OS, supervised, core, container)?

I updated a couple of test version (one Supervised and another Container) and I’m getting different results between the two.

In the Supervised version the fans and controls still work.

But in the container version I am getting a bunch of errors for the fans and they won’t even show up as entities.

I can’t see why there would be a difference between Container or supervised tho. They are supposed to be identical in the core implementations.

I’m running HA OS

The problem was discovered in the issue report an discussed the other thread.

You need to put quotes around the “off” speed in your speeds list.

I had it in two out of three of my HA installs. The one that didn’t have it was the one that failed.

I still don’t know why that one didn’t have the quotes but I completely missed that difference.

I’m still fighting to get my template converted. It’s weird, I can still use the fan control entity row to set any speed and see it on the new percentage slider but if I use the slider I only get low and high to work. Set the fan control entity row to medium, slider says 67, set slider to 67 and nothing happens. This is all using my old template that I haven’t converted to the new 2021.3 config yet. I’ve got something going with the new config and the 67 percent doesn’t work there either but does give an error at least. Going to open an issue.

1 Like

I haven’t even started yet.

I go back to work tomorrow and, ironically, that means I’ll have a lot more time to work on it. :laughing:

2 Likes

I haven’t figured out how to fix my template fans yet but I did create a new button row that uses the new “fan.set_percentage” services:

Try it out f you’d like and see if everything works as expected.

It’s not in HACS yet (but hopefully will be soon) so you’ll have to install it manually.

And I’ve had a few requests to make the buttons resizable so I finally got around to doing it.

The buttons should be completely resizable now with the latest update.

I have used this code and it is a great way to control my fans. I installed two controllers and this card works great for one, but the other doesn’t work fully.

With the dodgy one, if I press one of the buttons it will send the command and the fan will change speed, plus I see the command in the tasmota console of the related device, however the button that is pressed does not highlight. When I press the button you can see an outline around the button but that is it.

Where do I start looking to fix this?

Thanks

What kind of fan is the second one that doesn’t work? zigbee/mqtt/other?

Does the fan work fully using the built-in controls?

The remote is identical, one works, one doesn’t. The controls work, it is just the status that is wrong.

They are being controlled via MQTT, I am using the Mosquito addon.

What is the model of the fan? iFan03 or something else?

could you post the configuration code for the fan in yaml text?

and show me the card config too please?

If they are truly fully identical then there should be no reason for one to work and not the other.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, I appreciate how confusing it is that one works and the other doesn’t.

Cancel everything!

It is now working. I am not sure what I did to fix.

Things I have done since I had looked at it last was that the units were both running off the same channel with the remotes. I had to re-pair each remote back to each unit. I have also created some other Lovelace tabs to split up my rooms, but that was simply copy and pasting code.

I really appreciate your reaching out so quickly and apologies for the false alarm.

Great work.

1 Like

No problem…Glad I could fix it for you. :wink:

:laughing:

1 Like

If anyone is interested in using the updated fan control modes for their iFan03 or iFan02 (or probably any MQTT fan) then check this thread I started:

I’ve noticed over the past few days that the “low” speed setting on my fan is staying medium. I checked the actual speed and it’s set to 33. That’s when I noticed an error in my log files indicating that set_speed has been deprecated. All good, I set my configs in NR to be set_percentage instead.

However, when I use this configuration, it’s still defaulting to 33 for low instead of 32. Medium is 66 and high is 100, so that’s working like it should.

I dug through the code and can’t find a reference to the percentage. Anyone else experiencing this and maybe have an idea on how to address?

I don’t use MQTT, either - I just use the jasco z-wave fan switch using the zwave integration with the HUSBZB-1.

There is a new plugin I made that uses the set_percentage service instead of the set_speed service.

here is the repo for it (not in HACS yet but should be soon):

finity. Please advise how this affects your coding in your fan_package.yaml examples ?