Lovelace overview all empty and all views & cards are gone

Hi all,

I made a change to my Lovelace interface by removing one view earlier today. Now though I’m trying to open the interface and everything in the overview screen is gone. No homeview, no views, no cards.
The /states interface is still working so I know that the system is still there and automations are still alive too.
Any advice on how to get my interface back? Or even just how to how to start over? I don’t even see a configuration button to create new views.

Did you change it with the UI or in yaml mode?
Cleared browser cache? (CTRL-F5)

I changed it in the UI.
I checked it from multiple devices, PCs, Tablets and Phones and all show the blank pane.
I restarted HA, also rebooted the RPie but all no change.

You need to open the raw editor and see if you can work out what has gone wrong.

I don’t have the 3 dot button to start the raw editor.

Oh.

There’s a lovelace file in the .storage folder but to be honest I think you would be better off restoring from a snapshot / backup.

Could an update work as well, at least to give me a chance for a new start? My last backup is for 0.86.2 and it’s probably as much work to get to to where I was yesterday as it would be to start from fresh.

And for the future… how do I best backup my Lovelace setup?

Could an update work as well, at least to give me a chance for a new start?

Hard to say, worth a try.

My last backup is for 0.86.2

:grimacing:

And for the future… how do I best backup my Lovelace setup?

If you are using Hassio you can automate snapshots, e.g.

- id: daily_backup_at_1_am
  alias: Daily Backup at 1 AM
  initial_state: true
  trigger:
    platform: time
    at: '01:15:00'
  action:
  - service: hassio.snapshot_full
    data_template:
      name: Automated Backup {{ now().strftime('%Y-%m-%d') }}
  - service: notify.telegram_system
    data_template:
      title: '*Information*'
      message: "Creating backup named Automated Backup {{ now().strftime('%Y-%m-%d') }}"

Then it is just a matter of regularly copying the the snapshots somewhere else. I use a progran call free file sync on another PC that is always on to copy my snapshots. Then run a custom component to clean up the old ones:

- id: daily_snapshot_clean_up
  alias: Daily Snapshot Clean Up
  trigger:
    platform: time
    at: '06:17:15'
  action:
    service: clean_up_snapshots_service.clean_up

This is all very complicated and I recommend you just use this (like I should):

OK I found a way back in via the Configurator tool. It gave me access to the Lovelace file.
The view after the view that I deleted has gone and was replaced with NULL. Removing that entry and a restart got me my other views back and I only lost the last one. Damn you Murphy, that one was the picture-elements card…
So next time I’ll delete a view I’ll move it all the way to the back first.

Thanks for your help Tom.

1 Like

Glad to hear you got it working. Now get an automated backup solution working!